massachusetts-umass-dartmouth-university-library-brutalism-paul-rudolph-from-kelviin-on-flickr2.gif

Robarts_corner_750px.jpg

20030630_14.rgb_595.jpg

Umass and Fort Book are interesting, but MC???

Umass and Fort Book are interesting, but MC???

I'm a bit biased. ;)

I like it because it literally looks like a Fortress, and it functions as a bomb shelter, designed so the outer walls fall outward, protecting the computers inside.

I think UW's MC was designed to look like a computer chip (from aerial photo) ~

Keep in mind that if 1 Yonge doesn't seem as "interesting" as some of these Brutalist examples, it's because it isn't really Brutalism, strictly speaking, so much as 60/70s Corporate Modern a la SOM rendered in concrete (the aforementioned Buffalo example being a stronger comparison point)

Perhaps, too, 55 Water Street in lower Manhattan.

I wonder "if" the red blook is for moving Lakeshore if the city will exchange the north part of the lot closer to Gardiner so that the a rentangle supertall building can be built?? And IMHO a supertall likely won't be out of place given that the portlands and and everything in between will eventually be built upwards into the sky. A supertall could very much function in this iconic address.

This is a perfect site for a "very tall" or "supertall" with the exception that it doesn't have transit (subway) access.

In terms of car access its great and it wouldn't appear that there would be any "NIMBYs" to object either.

Last edited:
what about the monorail to the portlands?

In addition, to hooking it up with the Path...

I know, we shouldn't pie in the sky dream about another subway line... but a supertall might actually increase the chances that the Lakeshore Line as proposed by Transit City might actually get built and it could link up to the Supertall, on the 1 Yonge site if that's what gets built. The Lakeshore Line could in theory link to it, instead of directly going into Union Station. Plus it would become the perfect excuse for not linking it to Union, making it the close sister-station to Union. Not just because there's more people to move, but it could serve as a back-up just in-case a major incident was to happen to Union. (But, I'm sure our politicians don't think long-term like this.)

But, IMHO if a supertall was to be built anywhere in Toronto, I'm sure our politicians would ensure that transit options would be available, and eventually would be built after... and not before construction ends.

Nothing material, but juicy gossip talk. 1 Yonge rumours seem to be trending hard.

http://homesandcondosblog.com/home/news-at-1-yonge-4792.html

NEWS AT 1 YONGE

21 OCTOBER 2011

As one could expect, 1 Yonge St. is a pretty important address to us at the Toronto Star’s NewInHomes.com, given that it is our home base. We take pride in the fact that our offices sit at such a prominent address.

That said, we are also very pro development, so when news that the owner of the land that we sit on has moved to sever, we take notice!

In an application filed with the City of Toronto, the owner of 1 Yonge St. has asked the city to sever the north parking lot area of the site, as well as the old three storey-print factory from the rest of the building.

The reason is not known at this point, but one could only imagine that the end goal is to build a large residential skyscraper on the site.

With the space being so large we anticipate that several 60-70 storey towers with a significant retail and office in the spirit of Maple Leaf Square with a bigger floor plate to work with could be built here. Imagine the possibilities! Perhaps a super tall condominium that ranges over 80-90 storeys? The potential is endless.

Last edited:
If there was anywhere south of CBD where they're going to build a supertall condo, I'd prefer it be here where it won't block the view of the CBD from the water. That being said I'd much prefer an iconic office tower that was <250m than a 300m bland condo here

If there was anywhere south of CBD where they're going to build a supertall condo, I'd prefer it be here where it won't block the view of the CBD from the water. That being said I'd much prefer an iconic office tower that was <250m than a 300m bland condo here

I agree, if they can propose a mixed use office condo complex for 156 Front/43 Simcoe at 54s-234/65s-221 meters, then they sure can build just as big or bigger for this larger location that has no strings attached.
Considering the size of this lot....I'd like to see a 60s-65s/280-300 meter iconic office tower and couple 55s-60s/180-200 meter condo towers for this location.:cool:
By the way suburbanite..welcome to the forum:)

I wonder if this could be the rumoured "Synergy" project. I'm actually shocked that the article is actually expecting a megatall there, as opposed to a standard 40-50 story building.

Back