No, it doesn't, but significantly lower profits practically guarantee poor design, maintenance and care.

What does significantly lower profits mean! In the red? Even? Did someone overpay for land? Were there unforeseen complications in the building process? Did bad weather cause a delay? Did a permit issue cause a delay? None of these things has anything to do with design. There are many factors going on in a development, right?

Anyway, this conversation is relentlessly boring, unlike this development despite its over-reliance on glass.

Wow that is a gorgeous (concept) park. I really hope it gets built just like that - the area really needs more green space.

I'm not so crazy on those buildings being so tall, especially if they all are, and end up surrounding the park.

Thanks for the info. Am I wrong to assume all the parties from various nbhd groups and other condo buildings nearby are opposing this proposal based on views and other silliness? (I know views and more importantly sunshine is something everyone should have access to, but seems silly/selfish to me that when one is living in a 50 storey tower in the core of the city, one still demands their views be left untouched forever.)

Am I wrong to assume all the parties from various nbhd groups and other condo buildings nearby are opposing this proposal based on views and other silliness?
Hahaha most likely, they were there to oppose the original height (252m) of Ten York
....I bet you there are already purchasers from 1 Bloor east lined up to challenge the height of The One:D

The Pinnacle Residents Association and the Toronto Island Residents Association are both listed as participants, meaning they'll get to present a statement. They can be questioned by parties at the hearing, but without party status themselves, they can't question others.

The Pinnacle Residents Association and the Toronto Island Residents Association are both listed as participants, meaning they'll get to present a statement. They can be questioned by parties at the hearing, but without party status themselves, they can't question others.

Holy Mackerel, the "Toronto Island Residents Association" a community of freeloaders on Algonquin Island 3km. away, have a say on how to re-shape our skyline,.....Un-freakin-believable:eek:

Holy Mackerel, the "Toronto Island Residents Association" a community of freeloaders on Algonquin Island 3km. away, have a say on how to re-shape our skyline,.....Un-freakin-believable:eek:
If the only people who get to state their views on changes to our City live adjacent to a development I fear UT would be rather quiet! What's so unbelievable that this group might have an opinion? Just because they are registered as 'participants' does not mean their views will prevail - in fact they may well support the proposal. In any case, the OMB's record would lead one to expect the developers to get their way.

There's a good chance that by the time the OMB hearing is underway, that everything between Pinnacle and the City will have been worked out already. Pinnacle have already made (and continue to make) significant alterations to the plan to take into account feedback from the City, Waterfront Toronto, the Design Review Panels (both the City's and WT's are weighing in on this), and maybe others as well. Frankly, I'd be surprised if anything the Island Residents had to offer would be of much interest to the Board, but hey, I'm up for the occasional surprise.

It's in the city's interest to have a well designed, strong and successful development on this plot. To simply say "it's the developer's problem" doesn't answer the city's needs.

If there isn't significant profit opportunity, it reduces the list of interested developers and consequently we end up with a poorly designed development, built cheap and poorly operated and maintained. Frankly we have enough of these kind of developments, we need something much more and simply throwing zoning requirements at it doesn't solve the problem. There has to be balance to attract better developers.

What are you implying the city should do if a developer paid too much for a property? Bend over and give them whatever they want?

It should be obvious by now that I'm a supporter of stronger zoning controls which takes the guess work out of property value. At the same time, some are getting caught up in bidding wars and putting forth ridiculously dense proposals to make up the difference. I hardly call this great city building from developers either.

Wouldn't it be great if these developers used warm tone colours other than blue green black or white. The last rendering of the 96 storey structure with the tan blue curtain wall was fine. I really loved the look of that building. But then back to black and white or blue green look again ! Is it too expensive to use other colours other than the blue,green look ?

What are you implying the city should do if a developer paid too much for a property? Bend over and give them whatever they want?

It should be obvious by now that I'm a supporter of stronger zoning controls which takes the guess work out of property value. At the same time, some are getting caught up in bidding wars and putting forth ridiculously dense proposals to make up the difference. I hardly call this great city building from developers either.

You are obviously trying desperately hard to misinterpret what I said.

It should be obvious that, if there is little opportunity for profit in the purchase of the property, there will be few interested builders
and
whichever builder is successful in acquiring the property will look to cut costs in every conceivable way.
Is that clearer? is that desireble?

I would think there would be a far greater benefit to the city to ensure the property can be profitable - and the properties further east as well - so that the city can look forward to a better designed and built community. This by itself does not guarantee good design, but as 1-7 is proving, the opportunity for the developer to make a profit is keeping them at the negotiating table and we are seeing the design evolve into a more desirable development overall - even if it does require permitting additional height.

Back