The view from down south.

B92799E6-A06C-4AD7-B954-BAB77D812126.jpeg

By the way, I don't see those vertical stripes and fins in the renderings such as the one below. I believe the area I highlighted in the red box is approximately the area mburrr and Jeff Morgan captured above in their pics.

1601634745210.png

I don't write very often, but I can't contain my feelings any longer. Since 2014, I always watched with attention the upcoming developments of this site and I was always very thrilled. I always expected and even prayed for an iconic project here, because of the strategic location of this site. I live in the greater Ottawa region and many of you will say that I should not be concerned by Toronto 's developments. But my love for Toronto is bigger than everything and because Toronto is the economic capital and the largest city in Canada, I dream to see the most beautiful architecture possible for this city. I want to see the same architectural quality that we see in Dubai, Singapore, Shanghai, Gold Coast (Australia) and Miami. Toronto is the face of Canada and Toronto must shine. Now, let's go back to the original topic. To be frank, I am disappointed by the final version of the project in comparison to the other versions. The 2 other versions, specifically the first one, was so spectacular. I will give more details now. 
One_Yonge_News_Thumbnail_1_m.jpg
1-Yonge-Condos-Picture-1.jpg
. When I see this version it makes me so sad. The white skyscraper that looked like a Star Wars skyscraper was so elegant and futuristic. The balconies were beautifully placed. And the two inclined towers were so extraordinary that they could have become the landmark of Toronto and Canada. But unfortunately, this version didn't become a reality. These towers could have become one of the most spectacular projects in the American continent. Let's analyze the second version.  Even if the second version is less spectacular than the first one, it was very good by Toronto and Canada's architectural standards.
27727-97050.png
1-Yonge-Street-Condos-Rendering.jpg
20347-69412.jpg
The east side of the smallest building was very creative and cool. The second tallest building had a lot of personality and had a very interesting architecture. The curves were correctly agenced and the balconies were beautifully placed. The tallest tower had a Star Trek skyscraper look and could have become an icon for the city. The podium, the chic curves and the distinguish pinnacle would have make it a cool futuristic looking skyscraper. It's a big loss for Toronto. Now, the actual version. To be honest, I am not a fan of this version and there is nothing extraordinary with it. The look of the three towers reflect the normal Toronto's architectural standards.
Sky-Tower-at-One-Yonge.jpeg
1591381961466.png
one yonge1.jpg
one yonge1.jpg
For me, Prestige condos Wil be the best looking tower of the trio. I like the mini bend in the balconies and the mix of colors of the east side. It will be a good addition to the city. For me, it will look better than 99% of Toronto 's recently built condo towers.The third phase or the second tallest building will be ugly. I totally dislike the arrangement and the balconies with the blue glasses. The holes and the presence of balconies in the west and easy side of the building make it uglier. The building could be prettier if the developer remove all the balconies. Like that the building will look less gross and will have a better look. The tallest tower of the complex have an outstanding shape but the balconies will spoil the cool shape. If the developer could remove the balconies or make them very small, the tower could be outstanding with its current white lines. To conclude my text, the current version of the complex is not a total eyesore, but it could be better in comparison to other versions of the project. You are not forced to agree with me, but I just expressed my opinion and my desire to see something extraordinary for the Toronto 's waterfront. Thanks for your comprehension . Francisco

Attachments

• One_Yonge_News_Thumbnail_1_m.jpg
    One_Yonge_News_Thumbnail_1_m.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 1-Yonge-Condos-Picture-1.jpg
    1-Yonge-Condos-Picture-1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 262
I don't write very often, but I can't contain my feelings any longer. Since 2014, I always watched with attention the upcoming developments of this site and I was always very thrilled. I always expected and even prayed for an iconic project here, because of the strategic location of this site. I live in the greater Ottawa region and many of you will say that I should not be concerned by Toronto 's developments. But my love for Toronto is bigger than everything and because Toronto is the economic capital and the largest city in Canada, I dream to see the most beautiful architecture possible for this city. I want to see the same architectural quality that we see in Dubai, Singapore, Shanghai, Gold Coast (Australia) and Miami. Toronto is the face of Canada and Toronto must shine. Now, let's go back to the original topic. To be frank, I am disappointed by the final version of the project in comparison to the other versions. The 2 other versions, specifically the first one, was so spectacular. I will give more details now. View attachment 273539View attachment 273535. When I see this version it makes me so sad. The white skyscraper that looked like a Star Wars skyscraper was so elegant and futuristic. The balconies were beautifully placed. And the two inclined towers were so extraordinary that they could have become the landmark of Toronto and Canada. But unfortunately, this version didn't become a reality. These towers could have become one of the most spectacular projects in the American continent. Let's analyze the second version.  Even if the second version is less spectacular than the first one, it was very good by Toronto and Canada's architectural standards. View attachment 273544View attachment 273545The east side of the smallest building was very creative and cool. The second tallest building had a lot of personality and had a very interesting architecture. The curves were correctly agenced and the balconies were beautifully placed. The tallest tower had a Star Trek skyscraper look and could have become an icon for the city. The podium, the chic curves and the distinguish pinnacle would have make it a cool futuristic looking skyscraper. It's a big loss for Toronto. Now, the actual version. To be honest, I am not a fan of this version and there is nothing extraordinary with it. The look of the three towers reflect the normal Toronto's architectural standards. For me, Prestige condos Wil be the best looking tower of the trio. I like the mini bend in the balconies and the mix of colors of the east side. It will be a good addition to the city. For me, it will look better than 99% of Toronto 's recently built condo towers.The third phase or the second tallest building will be ugly. I totally dislike the arrangement and the balconies with the blue glasses. The holes and the presence of balconies in the west and easy side of the building make it uglier. The building could be prettier if the developer remove all the balconies. Like that the building will look less gross and will have a better look. The tallest tower of the complex have an outstanding shape but the balconies will spoil the cool shape. If the developer could remove the balconies or make them very small, the tower could be outstanding with its current white lines. To conclude my text, the current version of the complex is not a total eyesore, but it could be better in comparison to other versions of the project. You are not forced to agree with me, but I just expressed my opinion and my desire to see something extraordinary for the Toronto 's waterfront. Thanks for your comprehension . Francisco

I feel like a lot of people feel the same way about seeing the first proposals and then the final product. That and even some initial proposals are bland just for money buildings. It's unfortunate, but I feel like Toronto is shifting towards better architecture recently.

Cheers,

@enrigue8
Architecture has a large subjective component, and your opinions are always welcome here. Thanks for your post. I liked the first One Yonge proposal a lot (but as you can see now the towers have been re-arranged on the site, though I don't know the many reasons why). The second incarnation, particularly for SkyTower, was a major fail imo. Very tall but not easy on the eyes.

I'll leave you with a render I posted a while back, featuring the 3 phases over-looking the lake. If a picture is worth a thousand words, this speaks for me.

SkyTower-overlooking-lake copy.jpg

HPA

I don't write very often, but I can't contain my feelings any longer. Since 2014, I always watched with attention the upcoming developments of this site and I was always very thrilled. I always expected and even prayed for an iconic project here, because of the strategic location of this site. I live in the greater Ottawa region and many of you will say that I should not be concerned by Toronto 's developments. But my love for Toronto is bigger than everything and because Toronto is the economic capital and the largest city in Canada, I dream to see the most beautiful architecture possible for this city. I want to see the same architectural quality that we see in Dubai, Singapore, Shanghai, Gold Coast (Australia) and Miami. Toronto is the face of Canada and Toronto must shine. Now, let's go back to the original topic. To be frank, I am disappointed by the final version of the project in comparison to the other versions. The 2 other versions, specifically the first one, was so spectacular. I will give more details now. View attachment 273539View attachment 273535. When I see this version it makes me so sad. The white skyscraper that looked like a Star Wars skyscraper was so elegant and futuristic. The balconies were beautifully placed. And the two inclined towers were so extraordinary that they could have become the landmark of Toronto and Canada. But unfortunately, this version didn't become a reality. These towers could have become one of the most spectacular projects in the American continent. Let's analyze the second version.  Even if the second version is less spectacular than the first one, it was very good by Toronto and Canada's architectural standards. View attachment 273544View attachment 273545View attachment 273547The east side of the smallest building was very creative and cool. The second tallest building had a lot of personality and had a very interesting architecture. The curves were correctly agenced and the balconies were beautifully placed. The tallest tower had a Star Trek skyscraper look and could have become an icon for the city. The podium, the chic curves and the distinguish pinnacle would have make it a cool futuristic looking skyscraper. It's a big loss for Toronto. Now, the actual version. To be honest, I am not a fan of this version and there is nothing extraordinary with it. The look of the three towers reflect the normal Toronto's architectural standards. View attachment 273757View attachment 273760View attachment 273758View attachment 273758For me, Prestige condos Wil be the best looking tower of the trio. I like the mini bend in the balconies and the mix of colors of the east side. It will be a good addition to the city. For me, it will look better than 99% of Toronto 's recently built condo towers.The third phase or the second tallest building will be ugly. I totally dislike the arrangement and the balconies with the blue glasses. The holes and the presence of balconies in the west and easy side of the building make it uglier. The building could be prettier if the developer remove all the balconies. Like that the building will look less gross and will have a better look. The tallest tower of the complex have an outstanding shape but the balconies will spoil the cool shape. If the developer could remove the balconies or make them very small, the tower could be outstanding with its current white lines. To conclude my text, the current version of the complex is not a total eyesore, but it could be better in comparison to other versions of the project. You are not forced to agree with me, but I just expressed my opinion and my desire to see something extraordinary for the Toronto 's waterfront. Thanks for your comprehension . Francisco
There may have been opportunities to do something different but at least it's not a box like most of rest

Understatement⬆️

Toronto really would look l8,e those cities mentioned if pervious proposals all around the city had ever been seen through. And it could have been a real cool looking skyline by now. Sigh. It’s getting there just thought I’d live to see some of the real gems. I still got 40 or so more years. Come on let’s bring in the fancy.

By the way, I don't see those vertical stripes and fins in the renderings such as the one below. I believe the area I highlighted in the red box is approximately the area mburrr and Jeff Morgan captured above in their pics.

View attachment 273591

They're there - they just aren't really recognizable unless you know what they are.
The black stripes are shadows on one side of the raised portion of the panels (and viewed from the side)
At the ends of the black stripes there are 'V's for the transiton to the flat panels.
The white part would be the flat part of the panels.

Like this on the left. The right would be if there were no shadow and viewed straight on.

QrdxFGv.png

Here's a portion of that render blown up.

vnuTIEX.png

Last edited:
I think, this current design is very refined and mature and is not gimmicky like Dubai or Vegas. Cities like Chicago and Sanfrancisco build buildings like these. Plus previous designs had too many balconies for buildings that tall, that's a turn off. I'm happy that HPA took such a matured approach to design.

Back