While I am sorry to see the near-twin "bent" towers go, overall I feel that this is very much an improvement. The designs now all look sufficiently different from each other that they avoid the Cityplace cookie-cutter syndrome, and what appears to be a significantly reduced total density should give a reasonable chance that all six new buildings might actually be approved (which I honestly never thought would happen with the original proposal).

Last edited:
The stepped (office?) tower attached to Toronto Star look somewhat awkward. 96? That's pretty wild...

But Mongo is right - it looks like the towers have more room to breathe now.

AoD

The bent towers were my favourites, but this still looks like it could be pretty interesting, I will wait for renders. Its nice to hear news about this project though.

Time to change the thread title, or is it best to wait for the results of the OMB / pre-OMB negotiations?

I need to see updated renderings first. I liked the original proposal so I am disappointed to see plans change.

Agreed that the stepped tower next to 1 Yonge looks awkward.

Nice that there's 2 precincts - oval-ish plan towers on the north block and rectilinear ones on the south block (incl. 1 Yonge).

Exciting times in the city, 3 Supertall buildings in the works!
The thing that was unexpected is the fact that they are applying for a 96 storey building, imagine telling someone you live in unit 9601?! I know this has been witnessed other cities, but not something I would expect to hear in Toronto. Even New York City has no residential buildings with that many floors (Although are actually much taller due to higher ceilings). I guess considering this won't be a luxury project, lower ceiling heights would be expected.
From a project that I already thought did a great job designing buildings so they look different from one another, it got even better. A lot of different designs in those elevation drawings even though they might not look great next to each other at the moment, but it's preliminary so the final product will be more refined.

I listened to an interview recently of a key figure at Pinnacle and he noted that this project will have a 10-20 year cycle.... that's a long time...

Back