Agree. The podium for the Phase 1 Tower takes up a lot of space.
And took seemingly forever to build. With the smaller podiums on the next phases, it shouldn't nearly take as long I gather.

Last edited:
I am a little confused. Why didn't they dig a single foundation for all the buildings?

Why are they digging piece meal foundations?

And they dig the foundations, wont the tie back interfere with other foundations?

Am I missing something here?

can they dig when the ground is frozen in winter?

Ground in Toronto doesn't freeze very deep anymore; half a meter at the most by Feb. Once they scrape off the top section it'll stay soft if they keep moving at a moderate pace.

Short daylight hours, deep snow-falls (then melting giving them a muck pit), and managing staff breaks (frequent warm-up breaks if it's very cold) are trickier to manage than frozen ground.

Last edited:
I am a little confused. Why didn't they dig a single foundation for all the buildings?

Why are they digging piece meal foundations?

And they dig the foundations, wont the tie back interfere with other foundations?

Am I missing something here?
Question 1&2: Apart from having to advance the permit approvals, shoring and excavating the other two buildings on a site this large would probably cost a bit north of 10 million dollars. This cost has to be carried with interest until end of project. From a financial perspective cost put into a site without corporate commitment to fully build is a liability. Excavated sites also require maintenance, ie de-watering, inspection and security. Question 3: Tie backing is not required when another foundation borders the worksite. There should not be any lateral pressure or force if foundations are the same depth.

Last edited:
Sunday, October 11th:

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0038_PC.jpg

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0054_PC.jpg

DSC_0055_PC.jpg

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0146_PC.jpg

DSC_0145_PC.jpg

I'd like to believe I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, but who are we kidding - I will. I think we are pleasantly surprised with the relative quality of this tower's cladding. But I did expect a teensy bit more for our waterfront. I guess we're so habituated to terrible design on our waterfront that this relatively normal project is seen as a major improvement. Anyway, seems like the next towers will be even better so I'm looking forward to those :)

Do you see the mirrored reflection coming off those windows in the photos up above! This building doesn't have that cheap blue green look like those condos around it. It's more like the LBCO and CIBC Tower and will stand out from a distance just the same ! COOL ! !

Not sure about the sky tower but this will never stand out as much as the CIBC twins. I do agree with you that it's not a cheap ugly tower.

Do you see the mirrored reflection coming off those windows in the photos up above! This building doesn't have that cheap blue green look like those condos around it. It's more like the LBCO and CIBC Tower and will stand out from a distance just the same ! COOL ! !
This is Pinnacle‘s atonement for the glass they put up across the street at The Pinnacle Centre. This is also is what 1 Yorkville should’ve been!

Not sure about the sky tower but this will never stand out as much as the CIBC twins. I do agree with you that it's not a cheap ugly tower.

You're right about that those diamond window indentation reflections are hard to beat during sunrise and sunset. But the strong mirror glazed windows add with those funky precast columns. Should make this building pop like the twin Harbour Residence tower does from a distance !

Back