The slab is most likely thicker than 1m so this would be considered mass concrete per CSA so they need to control the temperature differential between the core and the surface otherwise there is risk of thermal cracking. The concrete will heat up at the core so they need to heat the surface to control the differential.

I've driven/trained past this site a few times, and of course see the great photos posted here - but I walked by yesterday and the structure is insane.

It doesn't look that special in photos unless you notice the scale. Ceiling heights are massive. The concrete work here is huge, the beams are the size of bridge girders. The consistent amount of wall thickness is also nuts. Typically for high rises you just have a shear wall core and gravity columns, but to control drift limits at 350m requires mind boggling section sizes. I can't wait to see how they finish the podium interiors.

Last edited:
Why is the glass green? I don't remember seeing that in the renders at all.
...it's more teal than straight up green, but I see what you mean.

That said, and giving the ProjectEnd-san sage advice here, don't go by what the renders are portraying. Even if they're building exactly what is presented there, the renders are not the best at conveying the detailing accurately such as texture and hue.

2 weeks since my last update on Nov 8 and 2 months into this slab from Sept 22 and they still have more steel work to go.
Pictures from Sunday Nov 19.
_N8A2734.jpeg

_N8A2733.jpeg

_N8A2732.jpeg

_N8A2728.jpeg

DYWIDAG or is that WYSIWYG
_N8A2729.jpeg

From Front St. It’s a beauty.
_N8A2655.jpeg

New sign
_N8A2709.jpeg

From Green P lot.
_N8A2712.jpeg

I’m less worried about the street level now with how good the cladding looks for phase two. Hopefully when this is all finished the podium will come together nicely.

The goal with development of this scale should be to create new public spaces at ground level and that’s something sugar warf phase 1 failed miserably at.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna throw this question out there because I'm curious...

I notice that the thread for The One gets way more activity than this thread, but maybe that is due to all the controversy surrounding it... personally, I am more excited for this one.

Are you guys most excited for the SkyTower or The One?

The controversy adds some traffic to that thread but there are many other factors like having a different skeleton design and construction methods, the rumoured, confirmed then canceled and who knows if it comes back Apple flagship store, etc.

I am definitely more excited about that one because frankly Pinnacle has been building primarily mundane/average condos (I live in one of those).

I'm just gonna throw this question out there because I'm curious...

I notice that the thread for The One gets way more activity than this thread, but maybe that is due to all the controversy surrounding it... personally, I am more excited for this one.

Are you guys most excited for the SkyTower or The One?

The One gets more attention for some of the reasons Khaldon mentioned, but I also think it's because it's a little more luxurious and it's further along the construction process, so naturally it's get more attention.

...I mean, other than the pipe organ like rebar being used here, Phase 2 is not offering much in the way of construction novelty like The One is.

Why is the glass green? I don't remember seeing that in the renders at all.
It does look a little green from certain angles, but from other angles it's mostly the colour of whatever is reflected in it, which does include some existing green buildings. It has more of a blue/silver look when reflecting the sky.

I'm curious how much time is saved by tarping the sides of the transfer slab floor, once the pour commences. Does that dramatically improve curing time? If so, does anyone know by how much, or would it not be possible to cure concrete in low temperatures without it?

There are gas heaters inside the tarped floor, they are setup when there is a possibility of snow/ice/frost and must be turned on before there is any buildup (especially on a slab this size) otherwise the snow/ice will never melt as there will be an insulating layer.

Concrete needs 10°+C to cure so heating the deck underneath will certainly help, as well as using a winter mix.

Just a quick update that happened a couple of days ago, but I haven't seen on here yet. The Toronto East York Community Council passed the height adjustments, so now the only step until FINAL approval is the City Council meeting on Dec. 13. Given that it passed easily in TEYCC,, the Dec. 13 vote is likely a rubber stamp, I think.

I would think the ground in the area is pretty water saturated. I hope they did their homework on the bearing capacity of the soil.

Back