Aug 13, 2021

20C7611A-68E7-478A-8128-AC4115F62231_1_201_a.jpeg

1E427F8A-D65F-4254-8FB0-B5DBE78F7B64_1_201_a.jpeg

B451AE36-691F-4173-A2F7-44C5E6FFF44C_1_201_a.jpeg

64F235C3-380F-49A8-BDE5-CC534718D9F1_1_201_a.jpeg

03102BBE-4CB2-4929-8E45-7064EF16A14F_1_201_a.jpeg

8D4B3738-F2A8-4048-8B6F-619C82888207_1_201_a.jpeg

95347D50-AAF4-4B58-93B8-1A87EAEDDC59_1_201_a.jpeg

A report heading to the Sept 22nd Executive Ctte recommends giving a substantial amount of Corporate Welfare to this one....(IMIT grants)

Report Link here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ec/bgrd/backgroundfile-170498.pdf

From said report:

1631799933250.png

*based on my reading of the report, I believe the dates showing should be flipped with Portland Commons Grant beginning in 2024.

Note that I support this development, but can't discern how its viability is dependent on this grant (which is a criteria of IMIT) when its already under construction, without said grant.

Excellent link.

And one which makes me livid at the same time..............we once again see uncoordinated actions by the City and slow-poke responses from same.

From the linked correspondence: (note that this coming from the developer of Portland Commons, and addressed to Ctte)

View attachment 349313
Yes, the Wellington Street fiasco is FAR from unique and the Staff Report comes to the conclusion that IF anything went wrong it was certainly not THEIR fault. I was pleased that the Committee urges the City's Auditor General to look into it and see if there are lessons to be learned. I think anyone with a single functioning neuron would say "yes, there are". Though the original City Council motion (July 14 2021) already suggested that the AG look at this mess, Layton's amendment (which reiterates this with more 'direction') reads:

Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Mike Layton (Carried)
That the Infrastructure and Environment Committee recommend that:

1. City Council forward a copy of the item to the Auditor General and request that they complete an audit of the utility and construction report to include it in their 2022 work plan and report back to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee meeting at the earliest opportunity.

A report heading to the Sept 22nd Executive Ctte recommends giving a substantial amount of Corporate Welfare to this one....(IMIT grants)

Report Link here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ec/bgrd/backgroundfile-170498.pdf

From said report:

View attachment 349303

*based on my reading of the report, I believe the dates showing should be flipped with Portland Commons Grant beginning in 2024.

Note that I support this development, but can't discern how its viability is dependent on this grant (which is a criteria of IMIT) when its already under construction, without said grant.
Initial discussions regarding IMIT eligibility commenced in 2017 for 530 Front St and for 200 Front St started in 2018, the city is very slow in getting things done and even worse in coordinating infrastructure projects, latest example that i witnessed is on Bloor St West by Avenue Rd, they did all the watermains and repaved the road and 3 weeks later they were saw cutting in front of the ROM to install underground wires.

Initial discussions regarding IMIT eligibility commenced in 2017 for 530 Front St and for 200 Front St started in 2018, the city is very slow in getting things done and even worse in coordinating infrastructure projects, latest example that i witnessed is on Bloor St West by Avenue Rd, they did all the watermains and repaved the road and 3 weeks later they were saw cutting in front of the ROM to install underground wires.

What words are there?

After a whole series of expletives..............perhaps 'unacceptable' would be the least offensive..........to describe the City's state of project management.

I mean what, you want them to do their jobs??? Tall ask, @Northern Light, tall ask indeed.

This issue seems so pervasive............I do wonder in some measure how people are occupying their days in certain City departments.........because it certainly doesn't seem to be working away at what they're paid to do!

I am more sympathetic than some..........I've worked with the City for years, (not for); and I've met lots of good people who do try hard.........

But, at best, they really do accept foolish processes, and time-wasting by others and seem unwilling or unable to rock the boat about that......

At worst...........well..........

I mean what, you want them to do their jobs??? Tall ask, @Northern Light, tall ask indeed.
In a past life, more than a decade ago, I worked for a municipality (Ottawa), and in my experience, while there can be pockets of remarkable ingenuity and efficiency, there can be large swathes of the bureaucracy that are the opposite, and those who are not inclined to "do their jobs" for much of the day get a lot of union protection, or in the management ranks, often easily escape scrutiny if adept at office politics.

I believe that resurfacing was temporary patching of the watermain work. A full reconstruction is scheduled next year I believe.

Why it couldn't get done at once, I don't know.. but any utility cuts getting made now are because the road is still scheduled to get rebuilt next summer.

Back