Sept 16, 2021

9E9A2C97-0698-427D-9329-28B9E0A1B471.jpeg

73356A07-5323-4043-AA76-C73A30631243.jpeg

1B711C56-20FF-4379-9BFA-E5CD7FF1587C.jpeg

9EDC571E-B329-44EB-A8D9-1F5FEE37A9BE.jpeg

99FB7896-5AB6-48B3-BCA9-1960EDBC282D.jpeg

0FB731E8-4A15-4663-904F-C9FC3DD55389.jpeg

3EEF346A-1FCD-4B05-B707-5620CA3FB378.jpeg

So, what is that green stuff for? I haven't seen that before.
It's a waterproof membrane, they seem to be being used more these days and this explains.

Environmental Challenges​

Protecting below grade spaces such as tunnels as well as foundation walls and basements is a complex challenge, due to a number of environmental factors that can degrade the structure or cause tremendous damage to what is stored within it.

Below grade water infiltration

Keeping water and moisture out can be a vexing challenge. Water is under pressure below ground and forces its way through even the smallest cracks in the concrete. Water infiltration can cause problems by corroding the structure and damaging materials housed within the building.

Soil contamination
Another environmental concern is soil contamination, which is very common, particularly in urban areas. Contaminants in the soil and groundwater can pose threats to indoor air quality as vapors from the soil migrate into buildings constructed on these sites. Vapor-forming chemicals may include:

• Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as trichloroethylene and benzene
  • Select semi-volatile organic compounds, such as naphthalene
  • Elemental mercury
  • Some polychlorinated biphenyls and pesticides
These vapors need to be mitigated to protect people working or living in the buildings on these sites.

Time and Space condos on Front is built on a contaminated site and the developer decided it was too expensive to excavate it all out so they spent months installing a membrane. Not sure if this one is for contamination or water but ....

Time and Space condos on Front is built on a contaminated site and the developer decided it was too expensive to excavate it all out so they spent months installing a membrane. Not sure if this one is for contamination or water but ....
I had no idea about this. That's yet another reason why I wouldn't ever live at that development; if Pemberton is too cheap to excavate all the contamination than i'd want no business in living in their cheap build.

And if developers in general are going to be cheap by going the membrane way (which will degrade over time) on contaminated sites instead of doing full-scale excavations, then i'll have no business with those select developers either.

You are potentially reading too much into this. It could be that, but it could be not.
They even put down barriers in low-rise basements before they pour the slab.
It serves as both a moisture barrier and to prevent radon infiltration.

You are potentially reading too much into this. It could be that, but it could be not.
They even put down barriers in low-rise basements before they pour the slab.
It serves as both a moisture barrier and to prevent radon infiltration.
I did not say that this site is contaminated and here it may 'just' be for water infiltration but at many sites (and Time & Space is one) it serves two purposes. keeping water and 'contamination' out.

Back