Looks pretty decent.

Attachments

• stageeast1.jpg
    stageeast1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,968
  • stageeast2.jpg
    stageeast2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,671
Nice infill. Hopefully it replaces a gas station (there's a OLCO closed down on the south side of Queen) or one of the many auto body shops.

This really caught my eye in the Condo Guide. These little black box avenue infills are my favourite type of development; I wish we were building these in the hundreds.

As an aside, I think that raising the average height of our commercial avenues from 2 to 4 storeys over time will go a long way to make Toronto look really dignified. Much more so than, say, building half a dozen 80-storey condos in the core.

This is going up on the southside of Queen near Leslie.

Another rendering is up on the website - an interesting interior garden/courtyard area. It looks like the elevator shaft may be inbetween the glass hallways between the north and south section of the building.

I think this is a really nice infill project. What is interesting to me is how far down Queen East these projects are going. There are a lot of sites in this area that could get redeveloped.

Suites and retail space located 'hot' area
SYDNIA YU

From Friday's Globe and Mail

May 2, 2008 at 12:05 PM EDT

Stage East
BUILDER/DEVELOPER: Neilas Inc.
SIZE: 530 to 863 square feet
PRICE: from $195,000
CONTACT: to register, phone (416) 368-5262 or visit www.stageeastlofts.com
Neilas Inc.'s new condominium project in Leslieville is designed to foster a close-knit community, according to the builder.

Dubbed Stage East because of its location just east of the film district, the building will be set on a deep and narrow site on Queen Street East at Leslie Street, within an up-and-coming section of the city.

"It's just at the east end of what would be considered the 'hot' area," lead architect Richard Witt of Raw Design says of the development, which will open for sales on May 16.

"This is the first [development] which will be going in on that strip, so it's going to stand out just because it's a new building," he adds.

The building will consist of two four-storey towers linked by an interior courtyard and glazed corridors leading to a freestanding elevator. There will be 24 units between the towers.

"The way that we've arranged the building around this courtyard — with these glazed links — no one's going to be a stranger in the building," Mr. Witt says.

"Everyone is going to see you walking through the corridors and know who everyone is. It's a real community that we're trying to make here."

A green roof will be put on top of the mezzanine, while the courtyard and balconies will have landscaped dividers. Operable windows will be installed, and the south side of the building will have large overhangs.

Bike storage space will be provided, and residents will have access to a vehicle through an auto-sharing operation.

"The Queen Street streetcar is right there and there's access to bike paths along the lake not very far away," Mr. Witt adds.

The building will have retail shops fronting on Queen, and residents will be within walking distance of parks with sports facilities.

Suite sizes range from 530 to 863 square feet in one-bedroom, one-bedroom-plus-den or two-bedroom plans.

Interiors will include walls of windows; high-end, contemporary finishes; and private terraces averaging 250 square feet.

"In all our projects, we try to provide as much outdoor space as possible," Mr. Witt explains.

"There's something really nice about being in the city, but also being outside in your own space."

The largest model will have 863 square feet of living space on two levels, with two bedrooms and a den, a balcony and a 350-square-foot wraparound terrace on the roof.

"All the top [floor] units … have absolutely fantastic sunrooms up at the top that have wraparound terraces," Mr. Witt says. "They're sensational units."

Parking and lockers will be available for an extra cost, and maintenance fees have not been set yet.

Occupancy is slated for fall, 2009.

Weren't Lamb and Stinson contemporaries in the real estate business? How come Brad seems to "get it" and Harry doesn't?

To be honest, I think some people just have a good knack for knowing what people want and how to get it done. Not everyone is business minded.

I think Harry does have a lot of vision, but no focus or attention to detail to get his vision done right. Some minds just don't think that way. Whereas BJL seems to think a little smaller, gets it right, and scales the business from there.

He stuck with the brokerage side and became the self proclaimed "condo guy", building relationships with developers along the way. He then slowly started partnering with those developers to offer nice intimate infill projects that people really want. And now he's doing quite a few of his own projects. Seems like a much more calculated plan from the get go, compared to Harry who seemed to think so big and care so much about his vision that he neglected the actual running of a business.

It could use some colour to accentuate the creativity in that design. Perhaps the small windows on the left side could have been stained glass. It's not a really exciting project because of the scale, but it looks like it will make a positive addition to the neighbourhood.

Real Estate forum thread established for this project by moving purchaser-related posts here.

Back