IMG_4710.jpeg

I know many of you on this forum are downtown focused and turn their nose at anything in the suburbs. But in this area of mature Thornhill, this long term project along with the neighbourhood is developing far more balanced than other areas in the GTA from my uneducated observation. Heck if you look at VMC it lacks a lot of the utilities and forms to make it a livable area.

This area has the school network in place (elementary and secondary), multiple options for groceries and despite the poor transit frequencies by YRT it does have a greater concentration of various transit routes beyond the Yonge corridor. Yes it does have your typical suburban single family homes but it is built on the Garden City Movement form which was driven by developers 30-50 years ago who needed to design the area so that people can walk to the synagogues on Jewish Sabbath (community migration from Forest Hill). I can almost bet that most people didn’t know this.

Majority of the neighborhood are connected by a network of parks and pathways that you don’t find in the newer subdivisions. It is walkable unlike many other parts of southern York Region. This is what distinguishes it and is more livable than other parts of Vaughan or even just north of the area (eg. Thornhill Woods).

My apologizes for the rant, I feel that majority of UTers just throw anything in the 905 under the bus without understanding what changes are happening to change a mature suburban neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Yes, the detached neighborhoods here are considerably more porous for pedestrians than almost everything else in the 416 and 905. At least as far as detached areas go.

The Tower Cranes are no longer on the site. Things are rapidly moving along now. Changes happening at a fast pace. These towers keep looking better all the time, even at night. You can also see where the new grocery store is going to be located on the lower level. By the summer, the new addition should be open to the public.

20240203_200330.jpg

20240203_200428.jpg

20240203_200453.jpg

20240203_200508.jpg

20240203_200813.jpg

20240203_201159.jpg

20240203_201509.jpg

20240203_201514.jpg

Here is really hoping the next phase of this mall begins shortly
I agree. Looks like they are going to do the office building with ground floor retail and a park, and a few towers in front of Promenade Park Towers. The entire interior of the malls needs to be redone. Oh. Looks like they are also going to be painting the brick black around most of the mall's exterior. They're setting up and testing different sections of the shopping centre. A lot of survey markings are also made and dumpsters are now in place for the St. Louis Wings and Ribs and by Cake It Toronto.

I'm going to apologize for being lazy can somebody jog my memory? What is going on with that space? Are they refurbishing the interior or tearing it down completely

I visited the area yesterday, possibly my first time in the area...or atleast the first in 9 or more years. I'm glad to see this area is densifying, frankly I never really knew there'd be this much development in this area, but it makes sense.
20240416_151349.jpg
20240416_151530.jpg
20240416_153636.jpg
20240416_162144.jpg

This last image was taken by the Walmart north of here.

Back