Photos taken August 20th, 2021:

1629484085433.png

1629484099781.png

1629484142107.png

1629484158027.png

From Allied:
QRC West, Phase II This development property effectively expands QRC West to the southwest corner of Queen Street West and Peter Street. Currently under construction and scheduled for completion in 2023, the building will be comprised of 77,434 square feet of office GLA and 15,700 square feet of retail GLA and will be fully integrated with QRC West, Phase I, which Allied completed in 2015. The building is registered under the LEED® green building rating system and is targeting LEED® Gold certification. Allied has leased the entire building, 93,134 square feet of GLA, to a leading American educational institution for a term of 12 years. The user plans to animate the ground level of the building in a way that will add vitality to Queen West in particular and the Downtown West submarket generally.

If this is a modernization of a historic building, then why has it been completely torn down and wiped out? I guess modernization these days means making a fake replacement facade for a building that used to be there.

If this is a modernization of a historic building, then why has it been completely torn down and wiped out? I guess modernization these days means making a fake replacement facade for a building that used to be there.
There's only one heritage facade that's being incorporated into the building, and it's in situ, being saved. Everything else is new build, no deception there. The new walls are designed to be sensitive to the Queen Street heritage context, but they're not pretending to be old.

Back