voxpopulicosmicum

Member Bio
Reaction score
This thread is just your typical, anonymously sourced internet speculation (for now): My friend’s friend, etc. works for Allied REIT and he/she reports that Allied has significant plans for everyone’s favourite Entertainment District streetcorner.

We already know of the various plans that have been announced for:

Allied will soon announce plans to build a 20-something storey mixed use development at the NW corner of Peter/Richmond. From what I hear, the plans call for the tower core to be built in the parking lot/laneway (“Jack Cooper Lane”) that leads to This is London, while the tower itself will sit atop the existing 4-storey historical brick-and-beam warehouse that currently occupies said streetcorner.

Additional random detail: the rooftop of the existing building is to be greened-up and leased as high-end restaurant space. My source is apathetic about architecture, so the only such details I could glean were that the existing building will feature as part of the podium and the new (tower) portion will be “square and glassy”. Apparently, most of the existing building will be saved (no facadectomy), although I can't see them going very high without putting a few sets of columns through to the bedrock.

As I mentioned, this news is supposed to be confirmed by Allied in the coming weeks. It will mark (I believe) Allied's second-ever foray into new construction, the other being the new King/Brant building that was announced a few weeks ago.

Allied: now there's a corporate citizen willing to bet on Toronto's urban future. F*ck Alliance-Atlantis.

VOX... your posts are always intriguing and "new".

But given the IQ of your typical internet forum... sooner or later you must post pictures.

Forum members need simple visuals to aid their comprehension. Myself included of course.

VOX... your posts are always intriguing and "new".

But given the IQ of your typical internet forum... sooner or later you must post pictures.

Forum members need simple visuals to aid their comprehension. Myself included of course.

I knew ^this was coming, but I didn't imagine you'd be that quick on the draw. (I'm kidding -- I knew you would).

If I had access to renders, I would surely provide them to you. As it is, all I can offer is information. Would you rather not have the info, or are you content to be frustrated and keep demanding renders I can't get? (I thought so.) ;)

i can confirm that this is true. Dermont sweeny from &co will be doing the design for this tower, he did a talk at our school during the Living Large Colloquium last month. ill find the power point and extract some images of the design.

• Modern glass office tower cantelevers over historic buildings
  • The new office compontent will extend 9 floors above refurbished warehouse buildings
  • 134 Peter will be preserved
  • 364 Richmond will be preserved
  • Other smaller structures on site will be demolished
  • New podium is a lobby/atrium space with some retail opportunities in an 'L' space between preserved older structures
  • Public lane at the north end of the site will be widened and animated
  • At the roof level of 134 Peter there will be amenity space and the new office component will step back from the edge of the existing structures
  • Green roof planned
  • Existing buildings are not historically designated, but the developer wants to maintain character of the area
  • There is no underground parking planned, due to site constraints of preserving existing building (it's not a facadomy, but a full restoration of existing buildings - parking can't be dug under existing structures)

• Existing buildings are not historically designated, but the developer wants to maintain character of the area
I wonder why the hell they're not? Pretty sad when even developers recognize a building's contribution to a neighbourhood.

i wonder if This is London will stick around.

There goes Light Lounge (no big loss).
Distrikt could be affected by this (hopefully).
This is London has no reason to leave (one of the best clubs in Toronto, hands down).

Adam Vaughan is getting what he wanted. So far, I can count eight clubs either closing or new ones not replacing already closed clubs in the vicinity of Richmond & Peter.
On the other hand, I don't know how he's going to reconcile his little project (homeless shelter) with the "upscale restaurant" and high condo prices that are trying to move in here.

Closing
Tonic
Embassy
Cantina Charlie's
Light Lounge
Distrikt

Not Reopening
Fez Batik
Joker
Prestige/Plastique

Why do people always credit or place blame on politicians? Imho, Adam Vaughan had very little if not nothing to do with these changes. It was merely a matter of time and local real estate climate changing--C.P made other developers realize people want to live in this area.

Adam Vaughan is like George W--people direct there love or hate at the politician but the real jerks/heros? are those that own property

Back