The midrise 2nd phase on the north side is a great addition to the overall plan.

Fantastic - I really hope this gets built. Let's turn Richmond into a real street, not just Queen's ass.

Last edited:
The midrise 2nd phase on the north side is a great addition to the overall plan.

Agreed - this helps anchor the vertical extension to the ground very well. The atrium looks amazing, as does the roof floor of the old bakery. I want to work for a company located in this building.

Application for Site Plan Approval was made on February 16.

from today's Daily Commercial News, posted with the usual caveat.......

COMMERCIAL OFFICE BUILDING Proj: 9093042-7
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON PREPARING PLANS

Queen Richmond Centre West, Phase One, 134 Peter St, M5V 2H2
$35,000,000 est

Complete: November, 2013

Note: Detailed design is underway. Owner has initiated pre-leasing for this site and for Phase Two, report number 9113282. Schedules for Working drawings, tender for Gen Cont and construction will be determined based on occupancy and City Council site plan approvals. Further update late Fall, 2010.
www.qrcwest.com

Project: proposed construction of a eleven-storey glass and steel commercial office building above an existing five-storey brick-and-beam historic building linked by an 80-foot high atrium/blobby . The historic building will be modernized for construction of office space, with retail space at grade level. The new eleven-storey tower will "float" over and above the historic structure through the use of supporting "jacks" and will be integrated with the historic component through a central atrium. The total construction area is almost 300,000 sq ft of space, including over 275,000 sq ft of office space and 20,000 sq ft of retail space overall. Green Building features include a green roof, raised floors, under floor air supply, and daylight harvesting. The Owner is seeking certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System, and is aiming for a LEED Gold standard.
Scope: 276,000 square feet; 11 storeys; 2 structures
Development: New
Category: Commercial offices

From Allied REIT's annual report:

Phase I of QRC West is the largest intensification project we’ve ever undertaken. It involves the
restoration of an existing Class I building and the addition of a new, LEED-certified component for
combined leasable area of approximately 300,000 square feet. In 2010, we initiated the pre-leasing
process, met the requirements for site-plan approval and moved steadily toward the completion of
building-permit drawings. We expect to be in a position to commence construction as early as the second
quarter of this year. The market response to Phase I of QRC West has been very encouraging. We are
well advanced in discussions with a number of prospective tenants, including a prospective lead-tenant
well suited to the project.

Looking forward, we have three intensification opportunities in Toronto that we plan to initiate in 2011.
QRC West, Phase II, has the potential for 74,000 of GLA, with a significant component being high-value
retail space on Queen West. 388 King West and 82 Peter Street, which comprise a site on the northwest
corner of King & Peter, have the potential for up to 800,000 square feet of space. 489, 495 and 499 King
West, which constitute the best remaining development site at King & Spadina, have the potential for as
much as 500,000 square feet of space. We’ve initiated the municipal approval for two of these
intensification projects and expect to do so for the third shortly. In each case, at least a year will be
required to obtain municipal approval.

source: http://www.alliedpropertiesreit.com/documents/APREIT_2010_12_31_Annual_Report_.pdf

A couple new images from the Allied Properties Investor Presentation:

QRCW_1.jpg

QRCW_2.jpg

source: http://www.alliedpropertiesreit.ca/video/AlliedProperties-2011/player.html

Thanks a lot for that! Any idea if they're close for starting phase 1 ?

What will phase 2 be a parking lot for now ?

Death to the Gap!!

If you listen the presentation you'll hear that the Gap would likely renew their lease in the new building. That's a tiny store for them anyway.

Also to note is that they are in talks with a lead tenant who would take up 120k square feet... Hopefully they sign the lease.

If you listen the presentation you'll hear that the Gap would likely renew their lease in the new building. That's a tiny store for them anyway.

Also to note is that they are in talks with a lead tenant who would take up 120k square feet... Hopefully they sign the lease.

Thanks for that, care to give any hints as to who ? Where they're coming from ?

I'm impressed by this proposal. It succeeds in almost every way including design, context, urbanity and heritage preservation. I look forward to this one more than any 40-50 story BA style glass box that might be coming down the pipe. The shovels can't start soon enough.

Back