@AlexBozikovic and @3Dementia deserve full credit for bringing the latest renders to UT.

However, I am aware some members don't get twitter previews and are a tad click averse.

So I will bring them forward in post:

1674703794382.png

1674703845262.png

1674703877551.png

1674703914125.png

1674703955777.png

In reference to the above, @alex says :

1674704022576.png

May be after 60-80 years of global warming when winter will be only one month long, those buildings might end up looking that green.

They can absolutely look that green from late May to late October every year.

In the absence of 'evergreens' they will certainly not look that green in winter..........though, with freshly fallen snow on them, the branches might be just as pretty.

The vegetative growth projection in the render isn't particularly out there.

Greenery aside, this does look technically feasible and I don’t think there’s as much room for value engineering as it initially appears. If the timber structure is executable like they say, I have no reason to believe the rest of the project can’t resemble what we see here. Most of the architectural liberties we see in renders seem to be curves, trusses, or other features that are easily cut and non-executable in the first place. I don’t see much of that here, just good materials awareness- I don’t see that changing significantly. Maybe the scalloped balconies will be reduced/removed, if I had to guess.

So, we now allow tall mass-timber construction, but unlike these renderings, every building we've seen so far has been a timber skeleton with glass/metal cladding. Was there not a regulatory reason for that? Fire codes or some such? (The grey matter ain't what she used to be, I may be mis-remembering.)

I'm not sure where this confusion with cladding arose and the disappointment that mass timber buildings look like any other from the outside. Mass timber which is usually a combination of cross laminated timber and glued laminated timber (one is best for posts and the other for floor panels but, I can't remember which is which) s referenced as an alternative to a re enforced concrete structure. The century old post and beam warehouses on Spadina are clad in brick. You can't see the wooden structure from the outside without peering into a window.

The hanging gardens of Babylon! Cool. Some pleasant curved volumes in those renders, that could be sweet.
The hanging gardens of Babyl-
what is that smell?
oh nevermind we're still in Toronto.

I really hope they do keep it as green as possible, even if it balloons the price of the condos. We need more projects that bring more plants into the city, especially along the waterfront. I saw a really cool project in London where they're essentially turning street light poles into bird habitats by attaching green structures with moss and other little shrubs and they have little holes the birds can nest in. So far they've seen a decent increase in all kinds of birds in those areas

Back