I believe they're going to be initiating a design competition for the round building later this year, along with determining what should actually be in it.

It would be interesting for a new museum, maybe of the Toronto Portlands/industrial history? There are quite a few waterfront/port museums around the world. Or maybe a branch of an existing museum? ROM / AGO East? Thinking something similar to the V&A East.

It would be interesting for a new museum, maybe of the Toronto Portlands/industrial history? There are quite a few waterfront/port museums around the world. Or maybe a branch of an existing museum? ROM / AGO East? Thinking something similar to the V&A East.
Toronto could do an entire museum on the history of the shoreline alone. So much fascinating history with that

Toronto Museum has long been talked about, but given the lack of investment we’ve put into maintaining the city - we could just put a plaque up on sinkhole and call it a day.

I think that if they’re doing what they planned for the Parliament slip, they really do need a versatile, public cultural space akin to Harbourfront centre.

Of note, the Investment and Real Estate Ctte of Waterfrontoronto is meeting today.

On the above agenda, there is something to see about Quayside:

1678371045415.png

Key is item 1, that the development agreements have closed as at March 1st, 2023.

1678371138035.png

Thanks for the PDF, but did I read that wrong or are they saying Quayside wont be completed until 2030-2036? I know things take time but 7-13 yrs? Did Subway Sandwiches put in a lease and Metrolinx get involved?

For the benefit of others, I assume this table I didn't post is what he is referencing:

1678464273870.png

And, yes, I would say you read that correctly.

I concur, the delay on the first building (or the start of the sequence of buildings) does seem excessive.

Allow for 3 years of actual construction, I'm not sure why the first building couldn't be underway by Q2 2025 at the latest, and delivered by Q2 2028.

From the link thoughtfully provided by AoD:

1685539103903.png

1685539159913.png

1685539388095.png

There are multiple interesting concepts, I only have space in the post for a few. First up, a change to the Waterfront Promenade design vs how the existing one looks:

1685539698647.png

Note the open plants between the trees in this design, I approve!

However, they are still wanting to go with 100% Freeman Maples; very risky strategy. I get the appeal of an Allee, I have no problem with picking a species and going with only that for 1 block, but then swap it in the next block.

You can do so many interesting things with that in terms of different forms/colours through the seasons. All one species and if something goes wrong (disease, water levels, pests) they may all die.

Understorey plantings:

1685539917479.png

Ok....then. LOL

Send back for refinement. Dont' get me wrong, I love many of the plants on this list, but this is an odd and ambitious list. Soloman's Seal is probably the safest choice.

Carrion flowers, however, smell like rotting flesh; that should prove popular, LOL

Spicebush, Mayflower and Foam Flower all like boggy/moist conditions.......not clear to me how they intend to sustain that.

They propose passive irrigation which should be fine once the plants are established......

1685540806752.png

1685540261716.png

1685540310704.png

1685540402847.png

1685540537411.png

Trees all one genus? (Elm).....I wouldn't.

Elms are fine.....but don't go all one genus.

Lots more if you follow the link.

Last edited:
Ok, UT, so you don't see me give up my exclusives on new applications very often..........

But there are way too many files here.........

Quaysides first ZBAs and SAs are in............and holy crap there's a lot.

This description gives an indication of how much is going on, there are 7 different AIC entries (over 250 files) :

1688868166795.png

1688868233683.png

Building 1A - SA

Building 1B - SA

Building 1C- SA

Blocks 1&2 - ZBA

Master Site Plan Blocks 1 & 2 below and at-grade elements:

ZBA 3b, 4 and 5

For those who would like to help post all of these, may I suggest that you limit yourself to one application link per post, as I expect @interchange42 will wish to start dividing some of these up, and that would be a lot of work if posts confuse which building or block is being discussed.

Last edited:

Back