Full sized Site plan:

Quayside+Impact+Limited+Partnership+Concept+Plan+.png

(WT)

The timber "bar" building spanning 3/4 length of the site would be one of the most boldly urban moves in the city if built.

AoD
Is that a river stream crisscrossing Adjay's gigantic timber bar building?

That’s why I look at people whining about “density” in the Portlands project, like… do you not think we’re going to get density around us here? Seriously? That massive wall of towers west of parliament not enough? Nevermind what I imagine will be a wall of towers to the east once hybrid Gardiner unlocks land? Not seen in these shots are the three towers south of the distillery on the books, or the two towers coming in canary. Not enough yet?

When Alvin Speaks, WT listens!

LOL

We have a winner in the Quayside process.

From the above:

Quayside Impact LP, a team consisting of Dream Unlimited Corp. and Great Gulf working together with lead architects Adjaye Associates, Alison Brooks Architects, along with Henning Larsen, has been named by Waterfront Toronto as the winning proponent to redevelop Quayside.

Here's the official Waterfrontoronto press release:

I think some of you are about to smile....

From the above:

View attachment 380319

More

View attachment 380320

View attachment 380321

Renders incoming:

View attachment 380335

@ChesterCopperpot has the others enlarged two posts below mine....so I'll leave these as is:

Ground+floor+of+the+Western+Curve+and+winter+animation+%28560%29.jpg

An artist rendering of the ground floor of the Western Curve and winter animation.
Image courtesy of Waterfront Toronto.

Timber+House+%28560%29.jpg

A rendering of the Timber House. Architect: Adjaye Associates.

Community+Forest+public+space+%28560%29.jpg

A rendering of the Community Forest public space. Landscape Architect: SLA

The+Overstorey+%28560%29.jpg

A rendering of The Overstorey. Architect: Henning Larsen

Rooftop+Urban+Farming%2C+community+gardens%2C+greenhouses+with+POPs+space+at+ground+level+%28560%29.jpg

A rendering showing Rooftop Urban Farming, community gardens, greenhouses with POPs space at ground level.

Quayside+Impact+Limited+Partnership+Concept+Plan++%28560%29.jpg

Quayside Impact Limited Partnership Concept Plan

Quayside+Aerial+%28560%29.jpg

Quayside Aerial - Full view of proposed development. Building heights and densities are conceptual
and subject to City approvals as well as review by the Design Review Panel and public consultation.

Sidewalk Labs?? Who’s that, never heard.

While this is all extremely cool and exciting, I am more than a little skeptical about the trees shown in these renders, particularly the ones on the Western Curve building. The platforms look pretty thin for the soil volume required. Some parts of these renders feel more like fantasy than realistic proposals, but I guess we'll see.

Here are a couple close-ups of Alison Brooks' Western Curve building.

Again, the final design could be very different, but let's take a little time to slobber over the details so far, like those screened double-height balconies, and what looks like green-glazed terra cotta at ground level (love the geometrically themed pattern):

QuaysideWCurveBalcsSE1280.jpg
QuaysideWCurveSdwkSE1280.jpg

Wow, this (along with the Well) renews my hope in how the city is raising the bar for upcoming megaprojects. I hope this puts pressure on East Harbour to step up their game.
What Harbour? Never heard of it! (You're right, this might mean they have to.)

Here's the winter-time skating rink planned for the east side of the Western Curve:

QuaysideWCurveSkate1280.jpg

Love the sheltered arcades to the north and south of it.

Oh wow. I was just looking the other day at the Sidewalk Labs project and lamenting how beautiful I thought it was and how it was a shame we couldn't build something that beautiful at this site, not knowing what was to come. (The smart city aspect of that proposal was Orwellian and its better off it didn't happen)

But these renders are beautiful 😍 I have renewed hope at this site... while I know there's so much time to still cheapify it, Torontofy it, and mess it up, I am hopeful.

The western curve building is gorgeous! The plank is different, the cultural centre looks nice. All the wood. A 2 acre wooded park! And I still like the Parliament slip even though it is hardly featured here.

This looks very promising. I hope they don't screw it up!

Back