The western curve building is gorgeous! The plank is different, the cultural centre looks nice. All the wood. A 2 acre wooded park! And I still like the Parliament slip even though it is hardly featured here.

Is the Parliament Slip part of this project? Or are the renders incorporating someone else's proposal for that spot?

Notice that Adjaye's Timber House is all about cantilevers. At the west end, there's this massive cantilever over a public square. Note too that there's a glass elevator proposed à la Grande Arche de la Défense which rises from the sheltered square all the way to the roof garden/urban farm…

QuaysideTimberCantilNE1280.jpg

…while it looks like every balcony gets chain cantilevers to hold them (and their landscaping) out there. I hope that's not just cosmetic and that it survives the design process. Meanwhile, the area of the building over the pass-through is also cantilevered from above:

QuaysideTimberBalcslNE1280.jpg

Notice that Adjaye's Timber House is all about cantilevers. At the west end, there's this massive cantilever over a public square. Note too that there's a glass elevator proposed à la Grande Arche de la Défense which rises from the sheltered square all the way to the roof garden…

View attachment 380374

…while it looks like every balcony gets chain cantilevers to hold them (and their landscaping) out there. I hope that's not just cosmetic and that it survives the design process. Meanwhile, the area of the building over the pass-through is also cantilevered from above:

View attachment 380373

The city *loves* cantilevers. /s

AoD

Is the Parliament Slip part of this project? Or are the renders incorporating someone else's proposal for that spot?
Honestly, I'm not even sure! I know Sidewalk Labs had their own render for an idea using the Parliament Slip area, and the Parliament Slip was mentioned in earlier posted information from this proposal.

Prior to seeing its inclusion in these documents I didn't think it was part of this... maybe it's not and they are just incorporating it into the renders? I really don't know.

Let's keep going until the price of a two bedroom apartment is less than 11X the median household (gross) income.
We’re not going to build our way out of a housing crisis so long as housing is allowed to be a capital investment vehicle, and the most influential voting bloc in the country are property owners who don’t want to see house values drop. Ten more stories in the West Don Lands isn’t going to suddenly make things affordable. Just like how the towers in Quayside here will likely start at $700k for 300sq ft by the time they’re finished, regardless of however many other towers are built around it. Folks starting to sound less like Janes Jacobs and more like Robert Moses.

The Slip isn't part of the proposal - it's separate.

The OP has the outline of the buildings in the proposal

quayside-block-plan-figure-2-photo-credit-waterfront-toronto-jpg.304752
Interesting... I was thinking of Block 5 and the slip, silo park, and space north of the slip as one area that would be developed together, separate from Quayside.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to think of this. The renderings make a great first impression, but it doesn't seem like it'll take much to reduce this to something unimpressive.

I certainly love the use of colour on some of the balconies.

The western curve building is beautiful. The other towers seem like they'll be fairly generic once it's all said and done. I also question how much greenery will successfully be integrated into the project, which is a key component of these renderings.

I'm not too impressed with the landmark cultural centre either (I assume it's a placeholder).

Hate to be down on all of this - I hope it turns out beautifully.

I was admiring all the greenage on those balconies when I looked closer at the renderings- now this public art is making me wonder if it’s all an illusion

B251DAF8-3D49-4171-8F57-EF15011C9F2B.jpeg

I actually punched the air. This is really good for Toronto, what a save after the sidewalk debacle.

I don't know if it includes a 'flyby' a but a video is coming, shortly.

From WT's release page:

View attachment 380393
I wasn't thinking about this developer showing a flyby video of this rendering but that's even a bonus !!! I love watching the idea more buildings being added to the city's core in flyby mode from Koops!

Back