From the Star:

AoD
Well, as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly not to my liking. However, might go well with the old silos, if they decide to keep them.

I think the point of that article was less about the aesthetics of that specific project, and more about the kinds of creativity we could see in Quayside. The article includes a quote that acknowledges that the Silodam building is more innovative than beautiful:
In an interview, local Amsterdam architect Bo van Niekerk described Silodam as “definitely an inspiration for many architects and architecture students” and proof that “beauty doesn’t always have to be the main focus” in architecture.

I think the point of that article was less about the aesthetics of that specific project, and more about the kinds of creativity we could see in Quayside. The article includes a quote that acknowledges that the Silodam building is more innovative than beautiful:
Thanks for pointing that out. Much of this site comments on the asthetics of proposed buildings, so I gave my 2 cents. Not a fan of Khrushchevian style architecture. As for creative, I thought Alphabet's Quayside was creative; Silodam, not so much.

Waterfront Toronto's board meeting tomorrow and Real Estate committee meetings last week are/were mostly closed sessions relating to Quayside. Assume we'll be hearing news of the winning RFP shortly?

Yes I think the timeline is Spring 2022 - let me see if I can track that.

From the 5 year plan:

1644853395817.png

AoD

When Alvin Speaks, WT listens!

LOL

We have a winner in the Quayside process.

From the above:

Quayside Impact LP, a team consisting of Dream Unlimited Corp. and Great Gulf working together with lead architects Adjaye Associates, Alison Brooks Architects, along with Henning Larsen, has been named by Waterfront Toronto as the winning proponent to redevelop Quayside.

Here's the official Waterfrontoronto press release:

I think some of you are about to smile....

From the above:

1644954870415.png

More

1644954940513.png

1644954962513.png

Renders incoming:

1644956570446.png

@ChesterCopperpot has the others enlarged two posts below mine....so I'll leave these as is:

Ground+floor+of+the+Western+Curve+and+winter+animation+%28560%29.jpg

An artist rendering of the ground floor of the Western Curve and winter animation.
Image courtesy of Waterfront Toronto.

Timber+House+%28560%29.jpg

A rendering of the Timber House. Architect: Adjaye Associates.

Community+Forest+public+space+%28560%29.jpg

A rendering of the Community Forest public space. Landscape Architect: SLA

The+Overstorey+%28560%29.jpg

A rendering of The Overstorey. Architect: Henning Larsen

Rooftop+Urban+Farming%2C+community+gardens%2C+greenhouses+with+POPs+space+at+ground+level+%28560%29.jpg

A rendering showing Rooftop Urban Farming, community gardens, greenhouses with POPs space at ground level.

Quayside+Impact+Limited+Partnership+Concept+Plan++%28560%29.jpg

Quayside Impact Limited Partnership Concept Plan

Quayside+Aerial+%28560%29.jpg

Quayside Aerial - Full view of proposed development. Building heights and densities are conceptual
and subject to City approvals as well as review by the Design Review Panel and public consultation.

Attachments

• 1644956539343.png
    1644956539343.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
If the Western Curve Building gets built as rendered (LOL, sigh, eyeroll, etc) it would instantly become of one of the most stunning examples of residential high-rise anywhere. It will, of course, be dumbed down to such a degree that it will bear almost no resemblence to the original design. But, I suppose, one can try and hope for the best.

Back