News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
B

billy corgan19982

Some good news for my fellow Raptor fans. They clinched the Atlantic Division title tonight with the win over Philly and the Nets loss. I know it’s a weak division but they sure came a long way from last year’s horrible season.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Toronto Raptors are taking the Atlantic Division title north of the border.

Chris Bosh had 23 points and 13 rebounds for his seventh straight double-double to help Toronto win its first division title with a 94-85 win over the Philadelphia 76ers on Friday night.

"It's a start," coach Sam Mitchell said. "You come to all of these arenas and they have division championship banners up in the rafters. If you are trying to start a culture of winning, these guys need to start seeing the fruits of their labor and those things are important."

The Raptors, who already clinched their first postseason berth since 2002, won the Atlantic when Chicago beat New Jersey 105-74 later Friday night. It marked the first time a Canadian-based team won a division title.

Toronto also kept its slim lead over Miami for third place in the Eastern Conference, which would set the Raptors up nicely for a first-round matchup against injury-ravaged Washington.

The Raptors began the season with 2-8 start that gave little hint the playoffs were a possibility. Toronto's 43 wins this season are a 16-win improvement for last season's total of 27, the biggest turnaround in the NBA this season.

"I think it means a lot, especially with the quick turnaround that we've had this year," Bosh said. "It's a great thing. This team overcame a lot of adversity early. Now we have to look ahead to clinching that third spot."

Anthony Parker, Juan Dixon and T.J. Ford each added 12 points for the Raptors. Toronto had not won a title in its first 11 seasons, coming in with a .392 career winning percentage and three winning records.

"Nobody believed we'd be able to win our division," Ford said. "Now we're setting standards of how Toronto basketball will be like."

Andre Iguodala scored 20 points, Samuel Dalembert had 15 points, and Andre Miller had 10 points and 11 assists for the Sixers.

The Raptors took control for good with a 15-0 run to close the third quarter that saw all the starters do a little bit of something to contribute, taking some off the load off Bosh.

Bosh has been sensational all season, but especially of late while the Raptors make their postseason push. He averaged 25.2 points and 13.8 rebounds in his last five games, all without Andrea Bargnani (appendectomy) and Jorge Garbajosa (ankle) to help him in the frontcourt.

"I know I have to pick up my play," Bosh said. "It's near playoff time. I have to step up my role, make sure I'm rebounding, make sure I'm taking good shots and doing my role as the leader on this team."

The Raptors made 10 straight baskets late in the third quarter to build a 73-61 lead. Parker hit a 3 tied that the game at 61 and Bosh, who was sharp from the perimeter all game, put the Raptors ahead for good for a jumper from the top of the key.

Parker swished a 3 from the left side to cap the run.

"I couldn't stop it," Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks said.

Iguodala made a free throw to open the fourth quarter and end the Sixers' scoreless drought. But the Raptors kept rolling and stretched the lead to 87-71 on a Dixon jumper with 6:29 left. That was Toronto's last field goal of the game, allowing the Sixers to pull to 88-81 on Kyle Korver's 3.

Bosh made four free throws in the final 2 minutes to seal the win and make them find the nearest TV to see if they'd win the division.

"You have to have your defense pick you up," Korver said. "That was the hole we put ourselves in and we didn't have enough to dig ourselves out."

Notes

The Raptors had no fastbreak points and no second-chance baskets. ... Ford left briefly in the third quarter with a split lip. ... The Raptors are only 16-23 on the road.[/b]

Yep, awesome.

What's so amazing is that we have the structure and core to be a contender for many years to come.

We'll be having playoff basketball in Toronto for many years to come.

Go Raps, get that 3rd seed!

I'm not a big basketball fan but that's still very cool. Maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon now.

yeah the key is to finish third in the conference facing washington(arenas is out for a while).fourth place puts you up against cleveland and lebron-no thanks

^ and Caron Butler out too! That's two of their five starters. On top of that Washington plays horrible D, not your playoff type basketball.

The Raps have been playin playoff basketball, meaningful games, for the last two weeks. What is the stat? They have one of the best records in the league in 2007?

They have a great chance of taking the first round in short order, and with their depth and a short first round, can make some noise in the second round.

Ganjavih: Do it! ;P I was a puck head since birth, but for some reason stopped watchin since the Raps came to town.

Raps also have a pretty big following in Europe (Spain and Italy especially) because they embraced European players like no other NBA team has. It really worked out well for the Raptors since American players always griped about playing in TO, while the Europeans like it. They have somewhat of an edge in signing top free agents in Europe.

actually i hope we get to third so we can face New Jersey in the playoffs!

actually i hope we get to third so we can face New Jersey in the playoffs!

The Raptors are in 3rd place right now...I believe they'd face Washington, not NJ, as nice as that would be.

The Raptors have a nice young core and a good GM at the helm. They've had quite the turnaround this year...good to see success for a Toronto sports team.

Not a huge fan of the NBA but it's definitely great to see a major Toronto team in the playoffs again. Hopefully we'll be able to say the same about the J's come september.

I am really excited for the Raptors. I hope they can go a couple rounds at least. It seems like so long since the city had a team they could realy rally around (get on the band-wagon!). I am sort of rooting for the leafs to miss the play-offs. Their perennially mediocre performance blotting out all others is, along with this city's passion for golf, the scourge of this cities sporting life.

Game 1 of the Toronto-NJ series...

fullj.getty-73915006da001_2_08_47_pm.jpg

The Calgary Flames' "sea of red" has finally come to Toronto!

February is not the greatest time to show yourself off to the world, but it looks like Toronto will host the 2016 NBA All-Star Game.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/24/toronto-to-host-2016-nba-all-star-game

It's generally 4 days of festivities centered around many of the league events, but also an excuse for many of the leagues sponsors, media partners, families, friends and celebrities to party in one place. Toronto is a favorite stop among players - whether they'd like to live and play here is a different discussion - and this will be a nice way for the city to showcase itself.

It's kind of like TIFF in that it's an excuse for everyone to gather in one city and party, except the events are broadcasted globally.

With any luck, Andrew Wiggins will be a member of the Raptors :)

Do you think if they win the Atlantic with a sub .500 record that they'd only raise the banner halfway? To reflect the record that got us the banner.

Back