News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There is a report request headed to the Nov. 18th meeting of Executive Ctte via Councillor Pasternak, asking Parks, Forestry and Recreation to review the new Toronto Stewardship Manual.

This is a manual put together by coalition of groups and stakeholders to get City approval to do restoration/stewardship work without direct staff oversight.

It does so by prescribing a set of standards a volunteer would have to meet in terms of training to be deemed a 'Lead Steward' and be able to oversee certain works without City staff being on hand.

The report request is here: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2020.EX18.12

The manual itself is here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-158063.pdf

It should be noted, that the Task Force to Bring Back the Don was the City's original stewardship effort more than 3 decades ago, and was substantially volunteer with some City staff support and funding.

In the intervening years, City staff dedicated to this type of work have multiplied, but there has been a move to cut off any volunteer work without direct City staff oversight, which in turn limits the amount of volunteer opportunities
and the work that can be done.

Should the manual be adopted by the City, it would be a return to the older practice of letting people donate their time and expertise with less bureaucracy, and greater flexibility; albeit it with a more formalized structure around volunteer training and responsibilities.

Reactions: rbt
The City is looking to fund some Ravine Strategy items through the Federal Covid Resilience funding.

Report is going to next week's Executive Ctte Mtg.

This attachment has some details:

1607009152182.png

Reactions: rbt
Ok, so this real estate "article" doesn't really belong here...........but I just can't resist:

Here's why I'm putting it here...........

Because the headline says the home is built into a 'reverse ravine'.

A what?

Really?

You mean a ravine that goes up hill? LOL

(spits coffee)..........

Its a bloody ravine, with the home built at the bottom.

There's actually a buried stream running roughly under the street (Neville Park) which flows out to the Lake.

Ok, so this real estate "article" doesn't really belong here...........but I just can't resist:

Here's why I'm putting it here...........

Because the headline says the home is built into a 'reverse ravine'.

A what?

Really?

You mean a ravine that goes up hill? LOL

(spits coffee)..........

Its a bloody ravine, with the home built at the bottom.

There's actually a buried stream running roughly under the street (Neville Park) which flows out to the Lake.
I hope that whoever buys that home must have purchased home insurance for basement flooding.

Excellent piece in the Globe and Mail from Jason-Ramsay-Brown on the travails of Toronto's ravines.

Heads up this is a few minutes reading.

Another in a series of articles on the health of ravines in the Globe and Mail; this one by @AlexBozikovic and Oliver Moore

It touches on a number of important subjects including invasive species and gives mention to why sourcing seed from local plant stock also matters.

One other thing in touches on is a desire to see more people in Toronto's Ravines.

This one is more problematic, if we aren't going to acquire additional ravine parklands.

Most Toronto ravines are far from empty; its comparatively rare that I can't see two dozen people along my sightline on a nearby bike path.

Anyone whose spent time in the Humber Valley near Bloor will tell you it can get insanely crowded on a summer weekend.

There are isolated exceptions to this, typically areas without a formal bike path; or those sections currently used as Golf Courses.

.Flemingon Park is discussed; it just got a formal access to valley from Overlea Blvd last year.

Its access is limited to the East Don Valley by the presence of the DVP whose removal I can dream about; but not seriously imagine in the near or medium terms.

Flemingdon Golf Course is a further barrier.

If the land associated with Golf Courses were returned to nature, Toronto would something like 2,000 acres back to the valley system and room for another 10,000 people in the valleys at any given time.

I do hope the series tilts more towards specific solutions.

There's some good general education.

But to better protect and restore our natural spaces requires a wide range of actions.

Legislative/regulatory changes; financial resources and political will around invasive species management; as well as large scale capital projects that
daylight buried streams, put back all-too rare habitats (wetlands, bogs, estuary, savannah etc etc.); and larger scale planting.

Another thing it means is displacing some inappropriate uses from some ravines.

This means sportsfields in particular, and to a lesser degree playgrounds. Of course, the object cannot be to deprive community's of these assets, but rather to put new parks on tableland above the valley which can feature these things.

Having a baseball diamond in a valley (as exists in portions of the Humber) means non-native grass, along with gravel, fencing, benches etc. covering several acres of land.

None of that serves to feed or shelter wildlife.

It also makes the sports facility prone to flooding, unlit; and largely inaccessible in the winter season. Playgrounds should be available year round; but that's hard to do when they're at the bottom of big hills covered in snow and ice.

Good series, I look forward to more.

I noted above some projects the City was hoping to deliver this year.

One of them 'Cudmore Creek Wetland and Trailhead' has been funded, and is the subject of a report heading to the TRCA Board of Directors meeting on June 25th. The report is seeking delegated authority to award the tender that will be issued this summer when the Board does not convene.

This is Bayview and Pottery Road, essentially.

Report link here:

Concept Plan:

1624486729209.png

Back