AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Demolition applications have been submitted for 160 & 162 Bathurst Street, a pair of houses that suffered fire damage and currently sit boarded up.

A building permit for a replacement building(s) has not been issued for either of these addresses yet.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-145170.pdf

Article on Corrado's Barbershop, which was at this location for more than 60 years:

1579963149433.png

Last edited:
A common theme with many of these fire damaged properties is that it takes a while before replacement buildings or proper restoration efforts materialize. Typically impacted by complications from insurance, neglect and multiple ownership especially among multiple narrow lots. The SW corner of Spadina & Baldwin remains in a decrepit state after more than a dozen years. Further down on Spadina just north of Dundas W, there's a couple fire damaged buildings there as well. Although that was more recent and those look like they may still be reusable.

Further up on Spadina closer to College, there's also a row of Victorians on Oxford that burned down to the foundations and that site still sits empty. Various other examples around the city like the lot on Bathurst just south of Dupont (replacement proposal gone stale?), and the Peacock Hotel in the Junction.

Last edited:
My question here; does the City of Toronto have good enough tools to prevent demolition or decrepitation by neglect?

If yes, (property standards/building code enforcement) why are these not being used more pro-actively?

If they are somehow inadequate, what needs to change?

I don't want to see City government as busy body at every property with grass over golf course height or a bit of peeling paint.

But I do think the more extreme cases need addressing. Either maintain/salvage a building to a minimum acceptable standard or demolish it and maintain the vacant lot properly.

Historically, in my experience Toronto didn't allow properties to openly deteriorate at this level. Once in a while it happened, but it was always news-worthy when it did.

It seems to me, anecdotally, to be a bit more common than it used to be.

Harlo Capital are a partner on this future project:

152-162 BATHURST ST.

Harlo Capital and its partner identified an attractive investment opportunity and secured 8 properties totaling 22,992 SF at the southwest corner of Bathurst Street and Richmond Street West. The property is located at a Bathurst Street TTC streetcar stop and is within 100 meters of Queen Street TTC streetcar routes. The site situated between two of Toronto’s most iconic neighbourhoods (Queen West and King West) featuring some of the city’s best entertainment, shopping and restaurants. The proximity to these neighbourhoods, the financial core and local parks and schools make this a desirable project for future owners.

The conceptual outline of that massing diagram also appears to give an impression that the current building right at the corner will be retained as part of the base.

Sad yet predictable the heritage buildings getting demolished :(

We're a long way from that.

The massing model above does show at least one heritage property being partially preserved.

As to the others, I'm not sure how high value they are.......none are currently listed/designated on the Heritage Register.

But.....I think their scale, their granularity is important from a pedestrian/public realm perspective, and I would object to a bland, high street wall all the way along.

But of course, we don't have any renders yet............so let's not jump the gun on that.

Back