News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

And they're not just adding a park, it's a step towards completing a park corridor ... in an area with a relatively limited amount of parkland!

I hate to link to BlogTO, but this is so ridiculous I couldn't let it go:

"Save our parking / preserve our community" 🤢

A friend who sent this to me pointed out that they're doing a reverse Big Yellow Taxi.
I bet most of the people who signed the petition A) own homes, and B) don't live in the area and just don't want to give up cheap parking.

Not Toronto, but just down the QEW.

A Hamilton city council committee voted against affordable housing on a parking lot. One of the "No" votes was from city councillor Ted McMeekin, the former Ontario Liberal Minister of Housing (!).

View attachment 542468

Some notes on the above:

1) This lost on an 8-8 tie.

2) This still goes to Council next week, so its not a done deal just yet.

3) There was a submitted petition to 'save' the parking........that gathered a whopping 1,300+ signatures, the Chamber of Commerce also came out against housing here.

4) It appears several other sites did get declared surplus and those are projected to result in 150 affordable units.

5) What could go here (conceptually):

View attachment 542497

I'm not clear on what the argument really is for retaining the parking, when you do manage to get 1,300 signatures, there is a suggestion that there is demand...........

Of course, the parking, is apparently free.

While I hope this is reversed; in the alternative, I hope Hamilton moves to charge for the parking, which may reduce demand/enthusiasm for same.

Free parking also creates the problem that there is no way to justify putting any underground for legitimate demand when its free.
Andrea is thinking of using her ‘Strong MAyer’s’ powers to overturn this decision. If so, score one for Doug Ford.

Update: Final decision at council loses on an 8-8 tie. The parking lot prevails.

CBC Hamilton: Stoney Creek parking spots triumph over affordable housing after final council vote

Last edited:
Update: Final decision at council loses on an 8-8 tie. The parking lot prevails.

CBC Hamilton: Stoney Creek parking spots triumph over affordable housing after final council vote

Another update: Mayor Horwath will use her strong mayor powers to veto council.

1711574110899.png

Twitter

Back