Scotiabank should built its own Movie Theatre somewhere in downtown.

Not likely. There is no space anywhere to do it. Simply put movie theaters are massive and it is no longer about the smaller VIP screens. You need massive screens with the full experience of IMAX, mist, shaking etc.

I wonder if this is an area where UrbanToronto can reach out and find out?
This is not the kind of thing that companies ever disclose: they simply do not comment on anything that would affect a negotiation. They are not even likely to talk afterwards about why they did not open a particular location: all of this is done in private as they may be dealing with the same landlords elsewhere.

I know that Toronto Film Festival is worried about losing screens. So I sent them an idea of a seasonal floating Gala mega screen space (off East Bayfront). They ignored my email so I guess the idea is sunk .

But what a gala place that would be (I see media worldwide coverage). Beyond insurance, harbour commission and 1000 other logistical concerns... don't know where to store it for the winter.

Though there are a ton of floating screens around the world now (most with good weather).

New docs and some revisions.

• East tower has increased in height to 42 storeys from 40 and is now 145.2 metres tall.
  • Top five storeys of Tower A are now terraced to remove shadowing on Queen West sidewalk.
  • Residential units increased from 613 to 685.
  • Mid-block pedestrian connection through the site from John to Widmer.
3rfwea.JPG
fe3wa.JPG
fewaa.JPG

Still don't like the top of building B; the podium looks really good, wish they'd extend the same styling all the way to the top.

This section of Richmond between John and Spadina might become one of my favourite segments of the city. Unique, contrasting architectural styles and material selection (tableau, QRC, the Carlyle, Peter and Adelaide, Picasso, 330 Richmond all offer some relief from the typical Toronto glass tower), nice scale and a great mix of uses on the ground floor. It will feel very cosmopolitan when all is said and done.

They need to redesign Tower A (the west tower) now that it’s been terraced at the top. It’s arched expression no longer works with that change. It’s a shame because it was sort of interesting but... yeah.

Not a fan of a tower being designed by an angular plane (in addition to the prescriptive Tall Building Guidelines) but if they redesign it accordingly maybe they can incorporate the stepping as part of the design.

The inset arches could still work, but it does currently clash with the boxy steps. Maybe the precast (or brick?) could terminate in arches at the roofline as well?

Back