Streaming is likely the way of the future for the next couple of years or so...

...that said, more on topic, and for good or bad, if there's an opportunity to remove a building's current function to replace it with something else more sustainable, it would likely be now. Thus, this project couldn't be more timely, IMO.

I wonder how COVID affects the prevalence of bookable home-theatres as condo amenities moving forward.

It was honestly a condo amenity that I enjoyed the idea of (unsure how often they are used in practice), but it would kinda sucks that you'd have this space that you are paying maintenance fees for that you effectively couldn't use under Covid.

Generally you can't use any condo amenities during COVID. Depends on the individual condo board, but everything in ours has been closed since March.

Everything in our rental building here in California is closed - clubhouses, yoga studio, golf room. They did open the outdoor pool and hot tub for reservations in July - limited to one household at a time, one hour at a time.

The gym might be reopening next week as Santa Clara County had allowed gyms to reopen at 10% of capacity.

I wonder how COVID affects the prevalence of bookable home-theatres as condo amenities moving forward.

It was honestly a condo amenity that I enjoyed the idea of (unsure how often they are used in practice), but it would kinda sucks that you'd have this space that you are paying maintenance fees for that you effectively couldn't use under Covid.
My last two apartments had a theatre and they seemed both rarely used. I never used it. The only time I recall seeing it used was when the blue jays were in the playoffs and the building hosted a playoff viewing party for everyone in the building.

these were both rental buildings though, not condos.

I will so lament the loss of the imax screen, as others have articulated, that will be a sad day without a doubt.

I still really think cinemas have a future (with streaming), in the same way TV and cinemas have co-existed. It's still an experience to share to go to "the movies", with houses getting smaller I don't see how you replicate say with a large group of friends, a date, .... maybe VR will be a disruputer in time (as it improves it gets more accessible), in the sense it can replicate the large scale feel (visual / audio quality ... in fact it would probably be a lot better) ... but it still really can't replace the experience element !

In some ways it’s akin to going to a restaurant vs ordering from home.

I still really think cinemas have a future (with streaming), in the same way TV and cinemas have co-existed.
Well for all the doom and gloom around theatres, 2019 broke the record for biggest global box office year ever. There was 9 films that hit over a billion dollars, including Avengers: End Game, which became the highest grossing film of all-time.

Well for all the doom and gloom around theatres, 2019 broke the record for biggest global box office year ever. There was 9 films that hit over a billion dollars, including Avengers: End Game, which became the highest grossing film of all-time.

Global numbers, particularly those which rely heavily on Chinese growth ($6M in 2003 to $9014M in 2019), aren't necessarily reflective of local trends. Adjust revenues for inflation and look at established markets only (North America & Europe) and you find a different trend of fragile stability.

Tencent will be fine, Hollywood needs to adjust carefully to their new environment.

Last edited:
The new South American restaurant, MARKED, has recently opened up this month along the John Street unit at grade. The interior work does look quite extensive. I believe there was a different restaurant that was originally planned to open here before plans changed part way for whatever reason.

Although, the restaurant industry remains highly uncertain during these pandemic times, I am curious of how long the intended lease tenure is supposed to be. Considering the work going into the space, I'd reckon it should be at least 2-3 years or more. Based on the assumption they survive in this landscape of course. Likewise also wonder about the remaining leases with Michael's and Scotiabank Theatre.

Final Report on this one is going to TEYCC on Feb 24th.

Approval recommended.

Of note.

A non-profit child care centre is secured as part of this application.

There are some oddly auto-centric requirements that go w/the child care facility.

1613055882192.png

1613055901920.png

A summation of the development stats is also in the report:

1613056045705.png

1613056062259.png

Attachments

• 1613055699602.png
    1613055699602.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 264
The Scotiabank Theatre's laser IMAX screen is one of the best in the entire world. Losing it would be a huge loss for Toronto, as it would mean no more viewing 70mm IMAX films in their proper aspect ratio unless you go to the Cinesphere or Mississauga. We're talking Dark Knight, Ghost Protocol, Force Awakens, Interstellar, and Wonder Woman 1984. You can't replace this theatre with just any other screens and call it the same thing.
It was the world's first commercial laser light IMAX, also 12 channel sound (vs 6 channel). Cinesphere has better sound, IMO, plus they can play both IMAX film and digital, Scotiabank's IMAX projector was pulled when the laser light projectors were installed, so it can only play digital IMAX. I believe laser light & the new 12 channel sound was being "real world tested" in Cinesphere when it was closed. Christopher Nolan was at Cinesphere for a free TIFF screening of Dunkirk to do a Q&A. He said it was the best presentation of Dunkirk that he'd ever seen, and it was shown with IMAX film.
That all said, Scotiabank was also my "go to". I only watch films on the IMAX screen, or the Ultra AVX screen. The other cinemas there disappoint me for one reason or another.
I like the proposal a lot, but I'll miss the IMAX, however there's still Cinesphere.

It was the world's first commercial laser light IMAX, also 12 channel sound (vs 6 channel). Cinesphere has better sound, IMO, plus they can play both IMAX film and digital, Scotiabank's IMAX projector was pulled when the laser light projectors were installed, so it can only play digital IMAX. I believe laser light & the new 12 channel sound was being "real world tested" in Cinesphere when it was closed. Christopher Nolan was at Cinesphere for a free TIFF screening of Dunkirk to do a Q&A. He said it was the best presentation of Dunkirk that he'd ever seen, and it was shown with IMAX film.
That all said, Scotiabank was also my "go to". I only watch films on the IMAX screen, or the Ultra AVX screen. The other cinemas there disappoint me for one reason or another.
I like the proposal a lot, but I'll miss the IMAX, however there's still Cinesphere.

Always a pleasure to read the input of one the original UT Superstars.

Back at Council next week with for "six million, two hundred thousand ($6,200,000.00) dollars to be allocated towards the provision of new affordable housing and/or the Toronto Community Housing Corporation revolving capital fund for repairs to Toronto Community Housing Corporation housing in the local Ward"... we really need some OPEN DATA to be able to track what the actual delivery is on all of these "one-off" Settlement and Section-37 deals .

At least someone in Councillor Cressy's team was smart enough to INDEX those cash-deals to the increased Construction-Costs for each tranche of payment. That should be a standard clause on ALL of these deals now.

ITEM - http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.TE23.10
1632577275166.png

Back