Actually I take back "odd". It's just bad.

@Northern Light A good candidate for your Problematic Park Design thread :)

I probably will do a thread on it.

For the moment, I want to observe that this big spartan space appears to simply serve to show off the 'baseball diamond'. Which is so entirely lifelike that no one would ever guess its meaning w/o reading the subtle plaque laid in at 'home plate'.

This was not the right way to do this.

I'm not sure there was a right way to memorialize Sunlight Park on such a small space, but this was certainly not it.

IF, one really wanted something baseball centric, instead of merely a different colour of pavers in a diamond shape, one could have done a planting bed in green, and white that would been much more striking..........

Or one could have used water for the bases and base paths, and infilled the diamond with lily pads..........

But frankly, just the original design would have been fine.

I haven't gotten close enough to the planters to have a look, but my impression is that they've nixed the uplighting of the trees which would have been a nice feature.

The excavation is nearing completion and the 'crane pit' (or one of them?) is dug - east side.
The toddler is quite torn up about this. We used to stop by and watch the two excavators working on our way to daycare.

The toddler is quite torn up about this. We used to stop by and watch the two excavators working on our way to daycare.
I think it's safe to say you guys will always be able to find a new excavation around our neighbourhood!

I think it's safe to say you guys will always be able to find a new excavation around our neighbourhood!
It’s true, but they often put up barriers that are not compatible with toddlers watching. This one was wide open along Danforth, so the viewing was good.

Seems a crane will be arriving soon.
From yesterday.
PXL_20210616_235931551.jpg

Are there drawings/elevations/renderings of the phase being constructed on Queen Street that's currently being excavated?

I'm not too thrilled with the earlier phase and a bit worried about what we're getting on Queen here.

Does anyone know what the estimated completion date of this last phase is and what it will look like when it's done? How many storeys, retail space on Queen Street etc.? I couldn't find any plans online... Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Back