i know they announced all their new social spaces this past weekend but has anyone heard about what's underneath the new raised bullpens? is that just a party suite you can book? I can see a glass wall in the renderings.

i know they announced all their new social spaces this past weekend but has anyone heard about what's underneath the new raised bullpens? is that just a party suite you can book? I can see a glass wall in the renderings.
I don't think that is glass in the renderings but rather some sort of netting. Beneath the bullpen will probably be where the relief pitchers are while they wait to be asked to warm up

That's the rest of the bullpen. The platform is just the 2 pitching areas, the players for the most part will be underneath.

oh you're right. upon looking at the rendering, i meant in the right field corner to the right of the bullpen. there looks to be a party suite there or something.

Ah, I see. You mean this section. Good question and I haven't seen or heard anything on it like the other social sections

Rogers_Centre_Renovations____m____s___Toronto_Blue_Jays___Populous___Page_163___UrbanToronto.png

Oh, dang. People on this thread be right. The ACC has hit the wall and needs to be replaced, as of yesterday.
When your 21-27 team isn't pulling them in anymore, it's time to take a long, hard, look in the mirror and do what the #22-in-attendance Clippers are doing.

1674492772180.png

Oh, dang. People on this thread be right. The ACC has hit the wall and needs to be replaced, as of yesterday.
When your 21-27 team isn't pulling them in anymore, it's time to take a long, hard, look in the mirror and do what the #22-in-attendance Clippers are doing.

View attachment 451977
Raptors should tank. the next nba draft class is the best since 2003. we will be contenders in a few years

View attachment 451977

We’re way off topic here with this building, but I have no idea what people are talking about when it comes to this building being outdated. Nowhere even close. This thing should easily be around for another 60 years , and one could argue it’s probably one of the best venues in sports given its location.

Skydome on the other hand just got caught in a bad situation. Terrible timing. It was great when it came out, then 3 years later Camden yards was finished and the stadium was no longer cool

Some quick data on stadium age. For average attendance, the age of the stadium has minimal impact on ticket sales. If anything there is a slight negative correlation but that's largely due to BOS/CHC skewing the trendline.

Picture2.png

Now attendance =/= ticket revenue, as premium boxes, amenities and location can skew the average ticket price considerably. Didn't see any breakouts of ticket sales, but a couple of websites (unsourced) give a summary of total revenue per team. In this case the there is a U-shaped effect, with recent builds showing revenue upticks. Question is whether this is a permanent change, or if team revenue reverts to the average once the shine of a new building wears off.

Picture13png.png

We’re way off topic here with this building, but I have no idea what people are talking about when it comes to this building being outdated. Nowhere even close. This thing should easily be around for another 60 years , and one could argue it’s probably one of the best venues in sports given its location.

Skydome on the other hand just got caught in a bad situation. Terrible timing. It was great when it came out, then 3 years later Camden yards was finished and the stadium was no longer cool
Skydome is like the first kid in the neighborhood to get a nice flasy toy....but then suddenly it becomes very dated.

Skydome opened in 1989 but by 1995 it was already obsolete when Camden Yards opened in Baltimore which showed how to do baseball specific venues right.

I think we just need to bite the bullet and demolish the entire Skydome and build a new venue. Jays can play in Montreal or Buffalo for a few years until the Stadium is built.

Nice charts!

It would be interesting to correlate average ticket price and/or revenue for the Jays next year. I would guess that, even with a reduced seat count, they will get bump. And the renovations to 100-level should even further help increase the average price, I'd think. (And if they, say, win the All Star Game bid, the PR leading up to and after that should help too.)

SkyDome obviously has more seats than the Ex ever did but the bump there is still pretty amazing,
1988 - 2.6m
1989 (hybrid season) -3.3m
1990 - 3.8m

And then they broke 4 million 3 years in a row. It goes without saying, the team winning the World Series, hosting the All Star Game etc. all helped too, but it's still impressive (and quite likely a record that will never be broken). Even in strike-shortened 1994 they were on pace to be up there again and still had 2.9M in 1995. Then it was a pretty steady decline until they fell off the cliff in 2000.

And it didn't finally drop in 2000 because Camden Yards was cooler. The stadium itself wasn't a draw anymore and the team was flatlining with new ownership etc. Yes, it was the last of its kind before the retro, baseball-only parks came in etc., but it's at least partly beside the point.

If your on-field product is a joke, I'm sure the new-facilities bump doesn't get you very far but there's definitely a bump to be had, yes, even with this facility that was apparently outdated by 1992.

I think we just need to bite the bullet and demolish the entire Skydome and build a new venue. Jays can play in Montreal or Buffalo for a few years until the Stadium is built.
Alternatively, the Jays can bite the bullet and just deal with playing in the Skydome until the sun expands and kills us all.

Montreal is out of the question the soccer and football team have said they no longer can play games at Olympic Stadium.

Skydome is like the first kid in the neighborhood to get a nice flasy toy....but then suddenly it becomes very dated.

Skydome opened in 1989 but by 1995 it was already obsolete when Camden Yards opened in Baltimore which showed how to do baseball specific venues right.

they absolutely cannot play in Montreal.

The size (sq footage) of the Scotia Bank Arena is probably one of its only cons. It is easily among the smaller building in both the NBA and NHL.

This deficiency was shown when the NBA all star game came to Toronto a few years ago and part of the events festivities were moved to the Coca Cola Coliseum. Even then there were constraints due to the limited size of the physical building.

I suspect that they might be able to expand the upper level concourses out by cantilevering out over the sidewalks, but this would be a major undertaking. The office building could be razed and incorporated into the building, again involving significant costs. The lower bowl, however doesn't have much room to expand into. Unless they take some of the galleria space, or expand again into Maple Leaf Square.

Back