Any features you're taking issue with in particular? There's plenty in that video that would not be / was surely not cheap.

relax, it was more of a tongue in cheek type of comment given the rather bare bones fit out of if with the exposed ceilings, columns, few walls, etc.

I quite like the interior personally, its the exact opposite of the oppressive thing that is the existing Ryerson Library.

When I went to Ryerson the place was such a dump. Classes in Jorgensen Hall :-(. My how this school has changed over the last 10+ years.

When I went to school (10-12yrs ago), Ryerson was not even on the list of options for me. Now, I probably wouldn't mind going there. I love that Toronto has a few very distinct schools competing, and each with their own character and specialty.

I'd think that students lingering is a good thing--it promotes a sense of community. If people are spending a lot of time in public spaces, they inevitably chat and socialize. The alternative where people come in on the subway and leave immediately after their classes is one of the worst university experiences a student can have.

I'd think that students lingering is a good thing--it promotes a sense of community. If people are spending a lot of time in public spaces, they inevitably chat and socialize. The alternative where people come in on the subway and leave immediately after their classes is one of the worst university experiences a student can have.
Lingering and socializing is one thing. Shoeless, snoring, and drooling out the side of your mouth is something else. I've seen plenty of that when I was at U of T in various libraries & common areas. I think they pitched it right here. The contemporary bias is to treat any public space as if it's your rec room. So, you don't want to make things too comfortable.

Connecting and collaboration is currently emphasized in education, in contrast with contemplative study (no value judgement, both have value). As a student, I appreciated Stauffer (Queen's) and Gerstein (UT) library setups - lots of space to sit, with calm lighting. RU can remodel these spaces if the educational paradigm shifts or students advocate differently, as there is a bare minimum of physical outfitting beyond modular furniture.

There are breakout rooms and offices on some of the floors too, not just open spaces… but yes, remodelling could be done up there fairly easily if need be. Spaces like 'The Beach' though, which are tiered, are pretty much always going to be like they are now I suspect.

Back