Wow it really lights up Yonge street!

I think it can only be a good thing to have such a large body of students in a building facing Yonge street. I wonder if it will significantly alter the economics of surrounding retail.

You can already see in the second last photo above that the adult novelty and video store at 375 Yonge has recently vacated. Aura also seems to be having a significant impact with a new Starbucks, Banh Mi Boy and restoration of 401 Yonge just north of Gerrard.

I wish we had something like this when I was in university, I had to study in Robarts.

You can already see in the second last photo above that the adult novelty and video store at 375 Yonge has recently vacated. Aura also seems to be having a significant impact with a new Starbucks, Banh Mi Boy and restoration of 401 Yonge just north of Gerrard.

The sex toy store is gone, but the theater remains.

Beautiful photos of a beautiful buildings. Thanks.

Why do some of the blue panels (inside the building) have black cutouts? Are those permanent?

The panels with black cutouts are acoustic panels, the black material is a mineral fiber sound absorbing material and is a permanent feature!

It feels like this building has always been here--- within three days, it is already so transformative to the experience of being a student here. You can study in a quiet study area and when you want a break, head down to The Beach space (which is surprisingly comfortable and the acoustics are much better than I imagined they would be). It's quite a lovely space to be in, and it gives us a home; instead of having to hang out in a food court or the mall or a hallways, it gives a space to relax and take study breaks or hang out between classes.

It's pretty exciting to watch all the architects'/designers' ideas come to life after years of planning and construction. A room like The Beach is used exactly as I imagine they had envisioned. People laying, sitting, working on laptops, having conversations with friends on the bean chairs, taking naps laying on the wooden benches, etc. etc.

And that's not to get into all the other spaces which I'm seeing are very well-used already.

EDIT: I hope security will keep solicitors out of our new social spaces in the SLC. I'm in The Beach room and there's already a guy going around from a local burger chain handing out coupons. It's irritating when you're trying to work and I have a bad feeling will become a trend now that there's a space that advertisers can target us all at once while we're relaxing and easy targets. Just a minor detail, but I'm sure Ryerson security will take care of it. Now that we have these sorts of informal student spaces on campus, it puts us in a particularly unique context since we're such an urban campus located in a major commercial area.

Last edited:
We have another front page story up here now, with a video of the buzzing interior.

Is it possible to just post stories into the thread instead of linking to another page? It's annoying coming into threads for updates only to find a link to somewhere else, especially from a phone. It's not like it's a different website that needs traffic diverted to it. I understand when its an article from The Globe, or The Star... but this is still UT we're talking about.

Well it's certainly nice to have the link to the front page story also in the thread for historical reference so weeks and months from now one can view it when it's no longer a front page story. I appreciate them!

And Modern/Sp!re: the SLC security will get right on that. That's horribly annoying that random people are soliciting students. Most of the people that I know go there don't need any financial breaks in the form of coupons!

Back