yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like it's time for a thread for the 3rd tower, address 40 Temperance St....not sure if the architect is confirmed yet.....

from Automation Gallery's earlier post:

40 TEMPERANCE ST
Site Plan Approval 12 210516 STE 28 SA Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Jul 12, 2012 --- --- --- Meistrich, Allison
(416) 392-7363
Site Plan approval a nine storey podium building adjacent to the Bay-Adelaide Centre (NORTH TOWER).Total Building Height 32 stories 900m2 retail at grade with PATH Link Below - 4 storey underground parking garage 227 Parking spaces for north tower.- Proposal includes non residentail uses for commercial/retail and office purposes

Last edited:
Only image i could find.... cant be right, looks like its the same height as the proposed east tower so im guessing this is quite old.

3469106477_09c72a94a5.jpg

^Yep, it wouldn't take too many monkeys at computer terminals to come up with that design.

This site would have been the perfect opportunity to construct TO's first supertall! If only they had the foresight and means to combine tower 2 and 3 into one supertall, elegant, sleek tower! Just imagine the positive impact on our skyline. I realize it's proximity to the CN Tower might be a tad too close, but a supertall 400 m would still allow our beloved symbol of TO to stand apart, and still allow us to encompass our first supertall, seems a waste of land to build two towers so short they will be overshadowed, and invisible by the other core towers. Just seems such a shame to ignore a rare opportunity, if anything, image the bragging rights to have North Americas tallest tower (we'll never top the proposed mile high tower aka Kingdom Tower in Saudi, but we can at least have the tallest in all he America's).

Hanlansboy:

Sorry, but no developer had been willing to put up a supertall office building, so I am not sure who is this "they" you are referring to.

AoD

This site would have been the perfect opportunity to construct TO's first supertall! If only they had the foresight and means to combine tower 2 and 3 into one supertall, elegant, sleek tower! Just imagine the positive impact on our skyline. I realize it's proximity to the CN Tower might be a tad too close, but a supertall 400 m would still allow our beloved symbol of TO to stand apart, and still allow us to encompass our first supertall, seems a waste of land to build two towers so short they will be overshadowed, and invisible by the other core towers. Just seems such a shame to ignore a rare opportunity, if anything, image the bragging rights to have North Americas tallest tower (we'll never top the proposed mile high tower aka Kingdom Tower in Saudi, but we can at least have the tallest in all he America's).

Unfortunately for those hoping for a supertall, Canada doesnt have an ego-driven dictator (Saudi Arabia, Dubai), or a national symbol destroyed that has to be replaced (NYC), or an overly dense cityscape with no place to build but up (Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong). We are Toronto, and we should be damn happy with what we already have/are getting.

Tokyo doesn't have all that many supertalls either, but it sure have higher land prices. I don't think we should be "happy" about what we're getting, but I think the focus on quantity masks the need for quality instead - and the latter is what make icons.

AoD

Last edited:
Unfortunately for those hoping for a supertall, Canada doesnt have an ego-driven dictator (Saudi Arabia, Dubai), or a national symbol destroyed that has to be replaced (NYC), or an overly dense cityscape with no place to build but up (Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong). We are Toronto, and we should be damn happy with what we already have/are getting.

Tokyo has no supertalls.

I included Tokyo because of the Sky Tree. Im aware they have no supertalls and that towers don't count, technicalities aside I think my point was pretty clear

The downtown Toronto skyline will not be impacted at all by a thirtysome floor office building on the important BAC site, and that's disappointing to me. However, given the blandness of the first tower that has been built , maybe invisibility is the goal. If this were a soccer game, you could say the home team is happy for a draw.

I dunno about supertall, but because this one directly faces Scotiabank a taller tower would provide some creative opportunities.

^^^ And further hide the Trump, which I am sad to say, I was a big fan of until I saw the finished product! Sorry, Steveve.
I dunno about supertall, but because this one directly faces Scotiabank a taller tower would provide some creative opportunities.

Bay Adelaide Centre North Tower (Brookfield, 35s, ?)

coming on the heels of the completed West Tower, and the about-to-start-construction East Tower, thought it might be time to create a thread for the third and final tower for Bay Adelaide...

somewhat garbled report from today's Daily Commercial News, posted with the usual caveat...

RESIDENTIAL, HOTEL BUILDING Proj: 9098097-8
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON CONTEMPLATED

Bay Adelaide Centre, North Tower, Phase Two, Temperance St, Bay St, Adelaide St, M5C
$20,000,000 est

Note: Conceptual planning is ongoing at the owner. Owner is seeking tenants. Scheduling for design, tender and construction of this project will be identified when a tenant is secured. Owner will secure an architect to complete detailed design and working drawings when a major tenant has been finalized. Phase Three of this project can be followed under report number 9098100. Further update spring 2013.

Project: proposed construction of a mixed use building with hotel and residential units. This project will aim for a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Standard.
Scope: 35 storeys; 2 storeys below grade
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Hotels, motels

...at least one poster at SSP has indicated that he thinks this 3rd tower may happen sooner rather than later...I guess we will see.....

Back