The sterility is pretty overwhelming, and the design banal (albeit well executed) - the whole ensemble is almost begging for a new backlash against this minimalist Neo-modern style (analogous to the late 60s/early 70s one against International Style).

I wish we get more new builds along the lines of 9 DeKalb instead:

Restrained ornamentation.

AoD
Unlike International Style, this Neo-modern style seems to be confined only to a few cities (Toronto among them). What will follow the backlash - neo post-modernism?

South crane removal:
IMG_4591.JPG

I thought it was just the skyline perspective, but I went past the building at ground level recently and have to double-down on the sterility comments. It may be mitigated once the temperance street is blocked to traffic and the cloud garden plaza area is finished -but these buildings are packed quite close to each other. At ground level it just feels claustrophobic - like a monotonous wall of glass everywhere. In the TD centre - the buildings are spread out more and the ground level plaza really works - but here I am just not feeling it yet.

The second TG1900 tower crane being dismantled today. The boom (200ft), counterweights and A frame came down yesterday. Today the engine,winch and crane house came down as seen here. These will be shipped back to New Jersey. This crane was built in 1978 and is not electric powered like most tower cranes but powered by a Detroit Diesel engine. At a 40ft radius, this crane can lift 126,300lbs, at a 200ft reach 11,500lbs (depending on configuration).
DSC_1290.jpg
DSC_1295.jpg

DSC_1299.jpg

DSC_1315.jpg

DSC_1346.jpg

Last edited:

Back