Hopefully this will form a gateway with the Mackenzie Investments building across the street and that's it.

How is this a good addition when it sits on the south-side of the street in a Northern-hemisphere city? It's going to massively increase shadowing. Microscopically, it's going to be worse for shadowing than the disaster at 629 King West.

People on this forum seemingly do not realize that the biggest reason Queen St. has as much charm as it does is the fact that it's mostly made of row houses with very small retail fronts forcing lots of variety of shop per block, and letting in tons of sunshine.

This development is the start of Queen St.'s charm being completely ruined by a short-cited city. Soon enough, Queen St. will be as depressing as the stretch of Bay St. from College up to Bloor. Try walking on Bay St. on that stretch if you want to become depressed.

Hopefully this will form a gateway with the Mackenzie Investments building across the street and that's it.

The rest of Queen Street in this area is covered by the recent HCD bylaw, or Heritage Conservation District, and it's quite strict about what new development can go up on Queen Street in terms of height and massing.

This building—east of the HCD—meanwhile, replaced a longtime surface parking lot.

A few more from this morning.

IMG_5882.JPG
IMG_5880.JPG
IMG_5881.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5882.JPG
    IMG_5882.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_5880.JPG
    IMG_5880.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_5881.JPG
    IMG_5881.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 429
Looks like they are going more clear than red...a little disappointing.
Not necessarily. Looking at the renderings it shows half of each north facing floor in red, half not. They haven't wrapped the red glazing around the corner where you see it now and across the west half side on the north face of the building.

The rendering on this subject page has 3/4 of the balconies as red and the other 1/4 as clear. I think that has been reversed. If you look at the 5th floor north facing balcony, it is mostly red from rendering but you can "clearly" see ;) that's not actually the case from pictures.

In the rendering 3/4 of the glass is red and the other 1/4 looks white. Now all this building is getting is 3/4 clear glass and maybe 1/4 red glass but that changes the whole vibe of the building. What about the purchasers who bought this because they loved the design, including the red glass? I would be quite pissed-off if that happened to me!

I think a final design should be a final design and developers should not get away with that BS! People should be able to get exactly what they pay for. Imagine buying a beautiful red car and a grey one shows up, without out you having any right to get what you ordered? It's crazy and it's just wrong!

Back