Wasn't that long ago that everyone was complaining about all the green glass down at Southcore. Can't have it both ways

I think the area works. Businesses relocating here seem to agree. Not sure if depressing is the right word to use. Perhaps just relatively uniform. I guess the main financial district has variations in colour and design of buildings built at different times. But this is an instant neighbourhood and reflects what's popular today. I'm sure it will hold up over time.

Ughh, so depressing how everything in this area is blue. When there’s a blue sky, it’s as if there’s no Southcore. The whole neighbourhood vanishes into a sea of banality.

Isn't that the intent?
To minimize the visual pollution and oppressive forces of having 40 storey hulking masses of concrete poised above your head?

Wasn't that long ago that everyone was complaining about all the green glass down at Southcore. Can't have it both ways

It's a false dilemma--it needn't be only one of either ways. You can mix it up. Like in the Financial District.

Seems like people are putting a lot of meaning into the term 'normcore' nowadays. It will soon lose its effect when people realize it doesn't really describes anything useful. I guess we just don't get the connection in being used for this area of town.

It's a false dilemma--it needn't be only one of either ways. You can mix it up. Like in the Financial District.

I am not an expert on glazing but isn't the color of the glass driven mainly by the visible light transmittance/reflectivity? Glazing systems in buildings designed and built a couple of years ago were targetting higher visible transmittance thus the green tint, while the newer buildings have to meet a more stringent energy performance criteria which means using more reflective glazing (lower SHGC). Isn't the blue tint actually the color of the sky?

I like that first pic from urbandreamer with all 3 blue buildings, they appear very monolithic and modern. The blue is almost irridescent as if they're glowing and giving off an aura.

I won't take much to pull it together. Just 1 or 2 dramatically contrasting buildings either in stone or different coloured glass or style will look great. It doesn't take much to introduce some contrast. For example the office building to be a part of ICE would be ideal for some contrast.

One burgundy tie can make a navy suit look great, or for you yung-ins, a crazy pair of socks.

The sidewalk is purple / burgundy !! Similar to Scotia place (am I getting my colours confused). Anyway I find the side walk adds a ton of contrast even if we argue the towers are plain.

Anyway know if they are continuing the purplish sidewalk to this side of the development ?

Yes the side walk beside PWC tower is purple (dark). There are some pictures further back in the thread.

I like your idea a lot, and 16 York could pull it all together.

What? Isn't 16 York going to be exactly the same as everything around it (a giant wall of sheer blue glass)? Southcore desperately needs textural variety, and 16 York is going to be a whole lot more of the same.

Taken today.

13071079493_0af70409ac_b.jpg

Back