sales center is about to come down and ground breaking is happening soon.
enjoy the glass and steel box while you still can.

Excavation should be interesting as the site is very tiny (there is 5 levels of underground of parking).

just got an update from the developer:

- City of Toronto has confirmed excavation work to start this August. This makes sense as the Templar Hotel is set to open this September and the contractor will move on to LH.
- The few remaining units will increase in price to $815/sf including storage and parking. Gorgeous full level PH and LPH are still available.
- Occupancy date of September 21st, 2011 remains unchanged.

The official address for this condo is 353 Adelaide Street.

Last edited:
At $815/ft, even with higher end finishing, you WILL lose money on this if you don't hold it for at least 5-8 years post occupancy. That pricing is ridiculous, haha.

At $815/ft, even with higher end finishing, you WILL lose money on this if you don't hold it for at least 5-8 years post occupancy. That pricing is ridiculous, haha.

Based on the rate at which the Templar Hotel has gone up, that's likely the amount of time it will take to complete Langston Hall.

So, has excavation work started yet?

Just looking at rhed's website and reading something interesting:

Designing buildings for the soon to be open Templar Hotel, the Langston Residences and the urban experimental housing project Citizen House. Our work continues to grow ... new buildings such as the Baldwin, an exclusive 22 unit residential condominium, slated for completion in late 2012.

Hmm, sounds interesting, and perhaps one of those rumoured Kensington Market condos is about to start???

Judging by the renders on their site, the design has changed. It looks even better now! But it's so tall and narrow--maybe there's going to be a phase 2?

Last edited:
The "Baldwin" might just refer to who it's named after. I assume that with the Langston named after Langston Hughes, the Baldwin will be named after James Baldwin.

lh-fall-2010.jpg

Construction will start just when the Templar Hotel is wrapping up. I was told that excavation should happen this month, though the sales pavilion remains intact (furnishings included).
A party for purchasers will happen at the Templar Hotel after it opens, to preview what is instore at Langston Hall (the design and finishes are very similar).

The very slender tower shown on the Rhed Design website is actually Citizen House. It's a rather enigmatic development, like many of their other buildings, so very little information is known.

Last edited:
that rhed website is terrible. When will designers get the message that these flash sites with tiny text are not very user friendly? Where do people learn to design websites like that?

What's the latest news on this project? It's now Winter 2011 and the sales office/model suite still remains intact.

Site preparation will suppose to happen in February-March. The sales office will be partially dismantled and will be moved via flatbed truck in the middle of the night so that it does not disrupt transit (it will be used as a visitor's centre for the Templar on the Mountain resort). And excavation will happen sometime in March-April.
This is timed so that it is happening after the completion of the Templar Hotel.
The reason why the hotel took so long to build is because of the technicalities of financing, which is much different for a hotel (especially when not backed by a major hotel company), and also the incredible amount of custom design, finishes, fixtures and furnishings that are going into this hotel.

Langston Hall will follow the same design as the Templar, so I hope the hotel will be a good primer for the condo and will take much less time to build. Both the hotel and condo will definintely be two of the most unique and progressive boutique dwellings in Toronto.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an update on this project? I can't find the development application.

I can't wait to see the finished project, to my recollection this may be the smallest piece of dirt built with multiple levels of underground, even if it is only 8 stories.

And they paid $3.13mm for the site, and probably only got around 8 times density.

Lamb's Theater Park is around 10,000 SF and this is 60% of that site - What construction Co is building this, potentially the same as Templar?
{Giffels apparently}

Last edited:
the building is named after Langston Hughes, the African American poet.

I actually bought a unit here (last April), and yes the wait and delays are excrutiating but after seeing how the Templar Hotel is turning out it will be well worth the wait and I have faith in Del.
I bought here because the building is unique, exclusive, and the design and finishes can't be found elsewhere. I am one of the last buyers in the building and I actually feel for the buyers who bought when the project was first launched a while ago.
The organization of this development is rather unconventional as Rhed Design/Del Terrelonge is acting as developer, architect/designer, and marketing/sales. It is a small firm and they do not have the vast experience like Tridel or Freed, so I anticipate some delays (though not as long the Templar).

I am hoping that once excavation starts sometime in March or April it should really pick up, as work on the Hotel will be complete and fully operational by then.

The building is not maxing out on the site's footprint which will make for a nice feel at street level and for the two retail units and the building's entrance. I didn't know that Theatre Park's site is actually smaller than Lanston Hall's site. Theatre Park's site appears to be much deeper for some reason.
The builder is considering an automated parking system to reduce the amount of excavation and shoring associated with the 5 levels of underground parking that was originally planned. I don't know how Theatre Park is dealing with their parking as they have substantially more units.

Last edited:

Back