that rhed website is terrible. When will designers get the message that these flash sites with tiny text are not very user friendly? Where do people learn to design websites like that?

I agree. And their ads in Azure aren't much better. They seem verbose and a waste of money!

the building is named after Langston Hughes, the African American poet.

The building is not maxing out on the site's footprint which will make for a nice feel at street level and for the two retail units and the building's entrance. I didn't know that Theatre Park's site is actually smaller than Lanston Hall's site. Theatre Park's site appears to be much deeper for some reason.
The builder is considering an automated parking system to reduce the amount of excavation and shoring associated with the 5 levels of underground parking that was originally planned. I don't know how Theatre Park is dealing with their parking as they have substantially more units.

No sorry I should have been more clear...The Langston Hall site is 60% of the size of Theater Park. You're right theater park is much deeper, LH is I think 80x75 or something close to a square type site.
I still think its amazing what they're building for the size of the site. I don't think any traditional developer would ever build something on this small of a site, for a number of reasons, primarily density and how expensive it is to build.

Though the Langston Hall website hasn't been updated in a while, it's much better than Rhed's site: www.langstonhall.com
Rhed is building a mystique more than anything and they are not your typical design firm/developer. They are a tiny conceptual design firm developing small boutique projects. I still find it very puzzling that they are not very active or effective in marketing their firm and their projects (other than their great installation at the recent Interior Design Show).

The condo market is highly competitive and they have definitely carved a niche with Langston Hall. Being in a true boutique building (30 units) is a huge selling point for me and it is very rare to find in Toronto.
I would like to see more boutique condos downtown, but for most developers it would not be very a lucrative venture unless they are marketed as million dollar+ units.

If you think the Langston Hall's site is small, the second phase will be built just behind the Templar Hotel on Peter Street (as reported by Urbandreamer) and that site is almost half that size. It will be interesting to see what kind of design they come up with for the next phase.

Last edited:
If you think the Langston Hall's site is small, the second phase will be built just behind the Templar Hotel on Peter Street (as reported by Urbandreamer) and that site is almost half that size. It will be interesting to see what kind of design they come up with for the next phase.

It's actually a larger site by about 1000 SF. Although it has much less frontage, so it's a more thin & deep site. The templar is the smallest of all the sites, so I'm sure they can figure up something in that site they bought.

I agree with you completely I love the boutique feel. Even bigger developers like 500 Wellington West site is a great boutique feel and 32 Camden with Sobara I think is less than 30 units.

Thanks CRE.
I found out the Peter Street property is 50' wide and 150' deep (7,500 sf) -- very narrow, but deep.
Langston Hall site is approximately 75' wide and 80' deep (6,000 sf).
Average floorplate size 4,378 sf with 3 units per floor (excluding PH).

In comparison, Theatre Park's site is 60' wide and 185' deep (11,100 sf)
Floorplate size 5,000 sf (approx), with 6 units per floor (excluding PH).
Hard to believe that they are going 47 stories on that small of a floor plate and building site.

Oh yeah, 32 Camden, I almost forgot about that building. The design and scale of the building is just right and I can't wait to see it built.

Last edited:
That rendering has been on Rhed's website for a while now (at least a year) with the moniker "The Baldwin", an "exclusive 22 unit residential condominium, slated for completion in late 2012".
The footprint looks similar to the Peter Street site, so it just might be the 2nd phase of Langston Hall. However, Langston Hall won't be completed until April 2013, so it will be a long time before phase two will be completed.

It is a very nice design (especially with the full floor units and alternating cantilevered floor plates), if it ever gets built.

Could construction delay be due to rhed developments seeking 5 additional floors here, for a total of 18s instead of 13s?

edit: Their latest promo video states construction begins Fall 2011...

Last edited:
I was told 8 floors is being added (21 floors total), and the design of the parking will be revised to reflect the added units and to reduce excavation/construction schedule (an automated parking system will be used).
I am supposed to get a letter confirming this and a tentative completion date in a couple weeks. New drawings and a model for the taller building should be ready soon.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I noticed on May 21 a construction container sitting in front of this project on the street. All the hydro, bell and gas lines have been marked around this project.

Could be contruction will finally start on this project??

I noticed on May 21 a construction container sitting in front of this project on the street. All the hydro, bell and gas lines have been marked around this project.

Could be contruction will finally start on this project??

Charlotte and Oxley streets are about to get dug up for a water main upgrade. Nothing to do with this project.

Back