I've never seen this render before. Are they really renovating Downsview (Sheppard West) Station!?

I certainly hope not. Downsview's design is among the best in the system.

The design in that render is unremarkable crap.

That is not Downsview station. The rendering was made several years ago, long before the station names were changed.

Screen shot 2016-01-16 at 12.24.49 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-16 at 12.24.49 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-16 at 12.24.49 AM.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 770
It's pretty sad that in retrospect the TYSSE almost had perfect station naming in terms of following precedent. It fixes Sheppard West/Downsview Park, it has Finch West, York University made sense, Steeles West and if it had been Vaughan Centre it would have been perfect. Steeles West got messed up, but otherwise I can live with the names.

That said, I think we should move to hyphenating all the station names and avoid all the new stupid names we've been getting lately.

Finch West could be Keele-Finch, etc, so that all the names are unique and very clear where they are.

Surely renaming Downsview Stn to Sheppard West was a ploy to lessen the likelihood of it ever becoming a transfer station in the future. What would the station be called if Sheppard Subway ever extends west: Sheppard West-Dufferin? Lol.

how about over designing the stations I would rather they had taken the ideas from the sheppard subway and just made them bare concrete walls and such. It's a subway station for gods sake most of these stations look like they are editions to a famous museum

More complicated station designs are more susceptible to construction issues.

The criteria for station design need to be based on long term functionality and cost, not architectural esthetics. That means attractive, durable, cleanable surfaces and spaciousness (but not absurdly cavernous). When We hear on the City News piece that no two structural members in the York U station shell are the same size and shape, we know we got it wrong. Take a look at those renders with an eye to the janitor who has to clean them. Will those surfaces still look good after a year's worth of brake shoe dust lands on them? How long will it take to erect the scaffold just to scrub the grime off ?
I am in favour of attractive, not bare concrete.... but they should be fundamentally an institutional design, not the damn LA Walt Disney Concert Hall quality eyecatchers.

- Paul

I wish the "world class subway station" agitators would move on to "world class overpasses".

The day when every over pass costs 50% more than the previous one because of the rare timbers from Asia used in its construction and the world class pavement design from local artisans will make our civic places so much more enjoyable and livable.

By "station shell", are you talking about the exterior shape of the station?

At the time the guy on the video said that, the camera was pointed at the roof of the uppermost above ground level, yes. I meant the exterior.

I imagine the track level box is in fact a box. Or a tube.

- Paul

The criteria for station design need to be based on long term functionality and cost, not architectural esthetics. That means attractive, durable, cleanable surfaces and spaciousness (but not absurdly cavernous). When We hear on the City News piece that no two structural members in the York U station shell are the same size and shape, we know we got it wrong. Take a look at those renders with an eye to the janitor who has to clean them. Will those surfaces still look good after a year's worth of brake shoe dust lands on them? How long will it take to erect the scaffold just to scrub the grime off ?
I am in favour of attractive, not bare concrete.... but they should be fundamentally an institutional design, not the damn LA Walt Disney Concert Hall quality eyecatchers.

- Paul
Ahem :) http://inhabitat.com/nyc/crazy-urba...amlgm-labs-urban-alloy-towers-train/?extend=1

I wonder if we could save time and money with a cookie cutter station design like the ones in the southern part of the line. i wpuld assume that much money and resources were spent on each unique design, no to mention the individual bidding for each one.

I can't agree that the size is massive. I've passed by these stations a few times and every time my first thought has been "damn, these stations are a lot smaller than I thought".

Unless you've been inside how do you know. Bessarion looks rather nothing on the street and yet is massive down below.

And if you're going to be digging down and excavating a large station box, isn't it cheaper to have the box walls go all the way up to grade, leaving a large volume open, rather than putting in a strong, expensive roof and backfilling? I seem to remember reading that in relation to some of Montréal's stations. And really, why do we roof and backfill a station? It it just because it's under a road?

Back