I will never like that Pioneer Village station exterior look. I get the historic "old" name but not sure I understand the need to invoke memories/images of the Flintstones.

I wonder how well these stations will age. Downsview hasn't aged a day since it opened 20 years ago, while Kennedy Station, which is 16 years older, is in decrepit condition.

It will depend on usage and maintenance
Obviously Kennedy is a much more used station so that's got to speak for something.... Has there been any refurbishment on the station recently?

I will never like that Pioneer Village station exterior look. I get the historic "old" name but not sure I understand the need to invoke memories/images of the Flintstones.

The design of the station predates the dumb "Pioneer Village" name; earlier renderings look the same, but with "Steeles" on top. (Also not sure how glossy red steel and Corten evoke the Flintstones, or how the a cartoon set in the Stone Age relates to early colonial Canada.)

The design of the station predates the dumb "Pioneer Village" name; earlier renderings look the same, but with "Steeles" on top.

I am aware of that....but I understand where the "dumb" name comes from.

(Also not sure how glossy red steel and Corten evoke the Flintstones, or how the a cartoon set in the Stone Age relates to early colonial Canada.)

When I look at the station I see this (albeit with different materials in construction).

2.jpg

That's interesting! The design of the structure just doesn't read that way to me at all, even after you point it out. It feels more like something out of a Moebius sci-fi comic.

When I look at the station I see this (albeit with different materials in construction).

Ah, memories of the disgusting Barney Rubble Burgers at Wonderland. Even as a child I thought they were gross, and I was raised on Chef Boyardee.

I wonder how York Region feels about funding its share of the desired extension to Canada's Wonderland, now that it has this bill to pay.

The comment I found interesting is

While substantial performance of each station contract is important, the critical path to open the subway is tied to completion of specific areas and equipment rooms to provide access for follow-on systems contractors, ultimately leading to component and system-wide testing and commissioning.

I wonder if this is an indication that (similar to the West Harbour GO station's opening tied to the Pan Am games) the line may be completed functionally but some of the cosmetic details and less critical details won't be finished by 2017.

- Paul

This is a cautionary tale for the Scarborough subway extension, for which the city will be paying 100% of any cost overruns.

They may just do a fixed price P3 project like Eglinton and Ottawa's LRT, which means no cost overruns.

After Spadina, I doubt the TTC will be doing any major capital expansion projects itself anymore.

What an utter joke. So lets get this straight, just about a year after the TTC came out and deliberated on options saying that the Spadina extension would be over-budget and late, they chose an option that would put another X dollars to the project in order for it to open in late 2017 (basically 2018). Now a year later, they come out and say that they need more money. Who's the person who is actually responsible for planning how funds are used for this project?

I'm not just bashing the TTC here, because honestly there's not one thing the city ever does that is on time and on budget. It's really time to consider letting private companies constructing more projects in the city, since both the city and TTC are incapable of doing it.

I think it also goes to show that anytime a city official comes out and say a project will cost X dollars, we should really double the cost right off the bat because that's most likely a more realistic depiction of the real cost.

What an utter joke. So lets get this straight, just about a year after the TTC came out and deliberated on options saying that the Spadina extension would be over-budget and late, they chose an option that would put another X dollars to the project in order for it to open in late 2017 (basically 2018). Now a year later, they come out and say that they need more money. Who's the person who is actually responsible for planning how funds are used for this project?
????

Last year, they said they didn't have the number yet of how much extra it was going to cost, but they'd have a good estimate at the end of 2015. Meanwhile the Toronto Star reported in March 2015 that the number looked like $400 million.

So now, at the end of 2015, they reveal the number is $400 million.

In what way is this a joke?

It doesn't appear like you are paying attention.

Well it's a good thing I have you to clarify things for me on this issue nfitz!

I thought at the time, they settled the number which is why they chose the option that they did. I guess I got my facts confused when I was reading the article at the time.

But this doesnt change the fact the TTC and the city need to change the way they do business with major construction projects because both of them are incapable of doing many things on time and on budget.

Back