A subway to Jane and Kirby (and the station walls and mezzanine of Kirby station being coloured pink and being Kirby-themed) is much more likely than a subway to Hamilton (with two branches; one to Tim Hortons Field via downtown and another to Ancaster via McMaster).

Kirby is four kilometres north of Wonderland.

Last edited:
A subway to Jane and Kirby (and the station walls and mezzanine of Kirby station being coloured pink and being Kirby-themed) is much more likely than a subway to Hamilton (with two branches; one to Tim Hortons Field via downtown and another to Ancaster via McMaster).

Kirby is four kilometres north of Wonderland.

Jokes aside, I can honestly see Kirby Rd having a GO RER station. I believe its within Vaughan's urban expansion lands, and its about halfway between two existing GO stations (Maple & King City). Imagine if we did strike a deal with Nintendo to have it a Kirby themed station... it would honestly attract nerdy tourists :)

They would want a new subway that would be express to downtown T.O. Not an extension to have to sit through the whole of Bloor St. W. and then get greeted by that Bloor/Yonge bottleneck that they'll sure add to.

They would want a new subway that would be express to downtown T.O. Not an extension to have to sit through the whole of Bloor St. W. and then get greeted by that Bloor/Yonge bottleneck that they'll sure add to.

and, now, the presumption gets extrapolated to the silly.

The bolded parts are a presumption leading to a conclusion......not buying it.

It's not like I'm saying there are any serious proposals, or anything from the Mississauga city council. It's just something you hear people say all the time in the GTA: "why don't they build a subway here or there or MY city/neighbourhood". If you don't think anybody in Mississauga wants a subway to Mississauga, *shrugs* ok then. They often want it because their logic is: "subways are good, subways would raise my property prices". The Hamilton letter above is an example.

Usually the people I hear these thigns from are those who don't give it much thought and have very little knowledge of transit. They don't know that Eglinton has a transit line under construction for example.

If you don't think Mississaugans want a subway, then you are sadly mistaken. I guess we will see how successful the Mississauga BRT is because the stations are similar to the spacing you'd expect on a BD extension (although less accessible).

It's not like I'm saying there are any serious proposals, or anything from the Mississauga city council. It's just something you hear people say all the time in the GTA: "why don't they build a subway here or there or MY city/neighbourhood". If you don't think anybody in Mississauga wants a subway to Mississauga, *shrugs* ok then. They often want it because their logic is: "subways are good, subways would raise my property prices". The Hamilton letter above is an example.

While I am very aware that there have been occasions where someone suggests a subway to Mississauga....but there have never been serious considerations given to it....that said, the part of your statement that I am not buying is "everyone wants a subway".......I don't think anyone in Brampton, Ajax, Newmarket, etc have ever suggested/asked for subways.....your definition of "everyone" seems very limited and blown up because you heard one person from Hamilton make a ridiculous statement.

While I am very aware that there have been occasions where someone suggests a subway to Mississauga....but there have never been serious considerations given to it....that said, the part of your statement that I am not buying is "everyone wants a subway".......I don't think anyone in Brampton, Ajax, Newmarket, etc have ever suggested/asked for subways.....your definition of "everyone" seems very limited and blown up because you heard one person from Hamilton make a ridiculous statement.
If you look at the 4 cities municipalities close enough to Toronto to get a subway, they are Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Mississauga, and possibly Markham. There's certainly been talk of the first two. And TTC did luck at extending the Bloor subway to Mississauga back in the 2001 Rapid Transit Expansion Study, rejecting it to focus on the extension of the Spadina and Sheppard lines. Clearly Ajax and Newmarket (and Hamilton) are too far away for subway. Brampton ... who knows, one day ... but not soon.

Is there a date on when they will start the process of renaming Downsview Station to Sheppard West Station?

Probably not until the extension opens, as the new signage at Union still says Downsview and the TTC won't want to change the signs until then. They should have done when they put the new signs up.

If you look at the 4 cities municipalities close enough to Toronto to get a subway, they are Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Mississauga, and possibly Markham. There's certainly been talk of the first two. And TTC did luck at extending the Bloor subway to Mississauga back in the 2001 Rapid Transit Expansion Study, rejecting it to focus on the extension of the Spadina and Sheppard lines. Clearly Ajax and Newmarket (and Hamilton) are too far away for subway. Brampton ... who knows, one day ... but not soon.

Wasn't there talk in the late 70's or early 80's of extending the BD line past Kennedy all the way to Pickering Town Centre? I'm not sure if it was just idle chatter or if any study had gone into this.

Wasn't there talk in the late 70's or early 80's of extending the BD line past Kennedy all the way to Pickering Town Centre? I'm not sure if it was just idle chatter or if any study had gone into this.

That would have been extremely idle chatter.

Back