Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This is the new GO Station to be built at St. Clair on the Kitchener corridor.

The site as is:

1673625928460.png

Union Street frontage:

1673625992619.png

Gunns/Weston frontage:

1673626102794.png

The App:

1673625704829.png

From the Docs:

Wow is this one ugly. Utilitarian would be an upgrade:

1673625434125.png

1673625474433.png

1673625507618.png

1673625541729.png

1673625576461.png

1673625621349.png

1673625652295.png

1673625892999.png

3 platforms is surprising. Seems like overkill, no?

Depends on how many corridors you intend to have all on that station in the future, I suppose.

K-W and UP Express currently use that corridor at that location. Might a Bolton service? I dunno.

3 platforms is surprising. Seems like overkill, no?
I believe the plan is for this GO Line to be electrified and to provide two-way all-day service at 15 minute intervals, and possibly even more frequent within the city's limits, to try and provide subway-type service within the city. The trains will also operate faster. They have already started adding additional tracks to this line to support this level of service. Hence the need for three platforms.

Are they adding a streetcar stop at or near the underpass? Or will riders have to walk from Old Weston or Keele?

Are they adding a streetcar stop at or near the underpass? Or will riders have to walk from Old Weston or Keele?
No - I don't think it is possible under the bridge. So you would get off at stockyards and walk there. Not ideal, but not sure how else they could do it.

Depends on how many corridors you intend to have all on that station in the future, I suppose.

K-W and UP Express currently use that corridor at that location. Might a Bolton service? I dunno.
While the idea of a Bolton service is getting some traction in that thread, as some have noted, unless CP wants to play ball with MacTier, it ain't happening. And as MacTier is single tracked, I can't see that coming to be anytime soon.

While the idea of a Bolton service is getting some traction in that thread, as some have noted, unless CP wants to play ball with MacTier, it ain't happening. And as MacTier is single tracked, I can't see that coming to be anytime soon.

I'm not expecting that either.

But it would make sense to build the station in such a way that it would accommodate such a service without having to be completely re-done. The surplus capacity of track could also be used to run additional express service on the existing routes; though that doesn't require an extra platform.

I can see them doing something like Bloor where the fourth track is only going in now but the platforms were created to accommodate it in the past. That said, I'm not sure if switching subs is something that is allowed - I can't imagine it is, even if the track runs parallel. It's a different sub with different ownership, traffic, and signaling. I don't see 'express' trains flipping from Weston to MacTier and back again just to increase line capacity or journey speed...

I could be wrong though, I genuinely don't know.

In terms of a streetcar connection, this is not planned but my thought based on the station design on a relatively easy solution that requires laying just a bit of track: reroute the final block of the St. Clair streetcar.

It can go north on Weston (to avoid confusion, I do not mean Old Weston) at Keele, then left on Gunns Road to Gunns loop, doing a small jog to its terminus rather than taking that last block of St. Clair West. This would provide an easy connection at the Gunns entrance to the station.

An alternate take on a similar solution is to move the streetcar terminus up to the intersection of Gunns / Weston. There probably is space to add a loop in the hydro corridor.

I can see them doing something like Bloor where the fourth track is only going in now but the platforms were created to accommodate it in the past. That said, I'm not sure if switching subs is something that is allowed - I can't imagine it is, even if the track runs parallel. It's a different sub with different ownership, traffic, and signaling. I don't see 'express' trains flipping from Weston to MacTier and back again just to increase line capacity or journey speed...

I could be wrong though, I genuinely don't know.

Ok, so I'm looking at this a bit closer now..........so the plan as laid out is 4 Mx Tracks in the station plus 2 Mactier tracks separated from the station. So it's a six-track configuration here. I don't see any proposed connections btw the 2 subs at this point, but there's a lot of drawings to weed through.

1673644508088.png

Looks like the 4th track for Mx (which they label 3 because they have a track zero....... (I wish to have a conversation w/someone about numbering conventions.....but I digress) begins/ends just north of the station:

1673644633461.png

Back