So on the north side of St.Clair in this area we may just be graced with elegance, meanwhile on the south side we're getting nothing but hot trash proposed. It's going to be quite contrast.

Big ones:
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 153314.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 153332.png

And that's before the really big proposals start rolling in further west--probably another 12,000 units possible between the rail corridor and Gunns Road. The next Liberty Village here, good thing it will have better transit access than LV.

I expect we will probably see something soon at the former car wash right on south-east corner of Keele and St. Clair too.

...and whatever happens to the old ABC Lumber, other than having Gunns Rd. extended through it.

Too bad the Toronto Guelph Suburban Radial Line is no longer with us. That would have made Old Weston and St. Clair a big transit hub.

map_tsr.jpg

From link.

Following are from link. Notice the right-of-way the radial cars used, separate from the roadway. To widen Dundas Street, they expropriated the space away from the right-of-way and gave it away to the almighty automobile.
humber-bridge_radial-car.jpg

Radial car westbound on the Humber River bridge. (Footings used today for bicycle trail, north of Dundas Street West.)

dundas-shaver.jpg

Looking east along Dundas Street towards Kipling Avenue. Some of the 150,000 automobiles in Ontario c.1920.

Dundas_Islington.jpg

Dundas Street and Islington Avenue.

104.JPG

Car 104 approaching Canning Avenue (Cordova Road) from Islington Avenue. The right-of-way here became Central Park Roadway. 1919 Mary Carr

Last edited:
And that's before the really big proposals start rolling in further west--probably another 12,000 units possible between the rail corridor and Gunns Road. The next Liberty Village here, good thing it will have better transit access than LV.
I hope it doesn't turn into the wasteland that is liberty village. I am hopeful it will not, since the city seems to be thinking ahead a bit with how to integrate this area with the city and provide access to parks, transit, deal with traffic, etc. I think the doom of Liberty Village was the rail corridor blocked it off from the rest of the city and it had no transit access. Here, they're building tunnels under the rail to connect it, expanding the roads, and it will get a GO Station and have the nearby streetcar. Hopefully they also expand the railpath north, and connect SADRA park both south (to the green line) and north / west to Lavender creek. I think it could shape up to be a nice community.

Back