Random nimby grandstanding by Matlow. It’ll obviously pass at Council. Matlow will probably abstain

Interestingly, Matlow made an amendment motion, after which the approval was adopted, as amended.

Normally, I'd go into what was changed............but the motion is so insanely long I don't have time just at the moment!

Someone else can have at it, or I'll get to it later!

Toronto city council approved the project at 1485 Yonge St. that will be developed by Wittington Properties Limited and designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects. The complex includes towers 44, 39, 27 and 13 storeys in height that will hold 1,361 new residential units total. They are made up of 405 one-bedroom plus den, 340 two-bedroom, 247 one-bedroom, 180 two-bedroom-plus den, 136 three-bedroom and 53 studio units.

The negotiations for the buildings resulted in a number of public space improvements as well, and these include a new public courtyard, the widening of the sidewalks to allow trees rooted into the ground rather than the current planters, as well as a new park at the northeast corner of the site. The intersection at Yonge and Heath will also be straightened as part of the deal to address safety concerns that Streets of Toronto/Post City has previously reported.

A new pedestrian network with large passageways through the development will include an entrance to the subway and a winter garden space in an enclosed glass area. In addition, the Deer Park library will be relocated to the site. There will be 18 affordable rental units within the project.

“Working together with the community, we were able to deliver a park, affordable housing, and space for a new library,” local councillor Josh Matlow said in a statement regarding the development.

Deer Park Residents Group President Cathie Macdonald said that the community initially did not want the development to move forward as residents were distressed by the amount of development happening in the area. However, since the province has mandated the creation of more housing, especially around transit stations, Macdonald admits that it couldn’t be stopped.

Instead, the community fought for changes to the application, such as moving an entrance from Heath Street to Alvin Avenue, which Macdonald said is a safer location. She admitted that it made the most sense to accept the deal that was created rather than have the project be appealed at the Ontario Land Tribunal, which has historically been friendly to developers and could “take away lots of the good things that we got,” Macdonald said. She said, though, that the project will really change the area, whose tallest buildings are around 20 storeys currently.

“In the end, the board of the Deer Park residents group agreed to support the project,” she said. “The results were as good as we were going to get.”

Few thoughts, keeping in mind I am eternally optimistic with these things:
1. Great that there will be affordable housing, new library space, and a park. All good stuff that should come naturally with development, and is in the best interest of developers, residents, these are win-win-win items long term, even if they impact your proforma as a developer. It is still financially feasible clearly, and profitable as well in this case. 18 affordable rental units seems low for 1,361 units though, doesn't it?
2. Access to Subway - excellent, but was it not always the plan?
3. Public space improvements sound good too. Who doesn't like big trees?
4. Straightening of Heath is needed, there are far too many of those awkward lights on Yonge Street. My mom got hit by a car when walking at Briar Hill once. She was fine. Driver was charged, but the point is these intersections can be really confusing to drivers and people alike, and where possible should be straightened or maybe turned in to one of those intersections with pedestrian priority phases.
5. The res association does not seem upset about the increase in cars from parking. Isn't that usually one of the big sticking points for local residents? Who in this case probably all drive?

18 affordable rental units seems low for 1,361 units though, doesn't it?
This app was filed before IZ regs.

5. The res association does not seem upset about the increase in cars from parking. Isn't that usually one of the big sticking points for local residents? Who in this case probably all drive?
I believe rate payer associations are usually angrier about lower parking because it means new residents and their visitors will park on local streets.

I believe rate payer associations are usually angrier about lower parking because it means new residents and their visitors will park on local streets.
Yup. You see this with every project that proposes zero car parking. Never mind that if you have a car, you probably aren't going to buy something in a zero-parking building.

The current use of the site is mostly public, surface parking now. Which presumably has much higher turnover than residential parking would.

This one has been sitting quietly, and I'm sure some have wondered as to the timing here.......

While all things are preliminary, this one seems to have a target date.........rather further off than I would have thought.

A report to the next meeting of Toronto Parking Authority which presents their preliminary budget submission for 2024 lists the Green P lot here as being decommissioned (turned over for development) in 2026.

Back