That is usually true, but doesn't apply in this case. The number 5 in Chinese sounds phonetically like the same word for "not". So together with the number 8 and in that sequence (158 Front), it sounds like "one, not prosperous". Making it also counterproductive.

This one should be launching shortly..... got an email today to register....

Good news. It'll go a long way to filling in that parking lot right now, and to cleaning up Front E of Jarvis. Thanks for the update.

The sales centre at the corner of Scott St. and the Esplanade has the model of the building. It looks quite similar overall, however the two towers are no longer joined across the upper levels. I'll try to snap a photo walking past today.

The sales centre at the corner of Scott St. and the Esplanade has the model of the building. It looks quite similar overall, however the two towers are no longer joined across the upper levels. I'll try to snap a photo walking past today.

Please. Really no connection? Blah

They've offset each of the two "towers" halfway up, creating an interesting appearance that for many will make up for the lack of the connection across the upper floors, though I know it's a disappointment. The podium is now charcoal brick instead of precast but otherwise looks quite similar to what was shown in planning documents. The towers appear to be more window-wall than what was shown (before it was precast-clad) which concerns me because it means they will have to use more spandrel glass to meet local code. However, there is framing around the balconies that will create a visual motif around the towers.

I'll snap a photo next time I walk past!

Walked by a few minutes ago. They were closed, but I snapped this pic of what I assume is the model in question, through the window.
XLo27YO.jpg

I think those will look great in this area. Solid height, I think the street level is attractive, and both buildings have visual interest without being awkward. I look forward to this coming up, as it'll do a lot for this area.

Back