A17AAF47-FE19-4942-8308-E9A90A6BA3AB.jpeg
90119775-2A54-4D6B-9F0F-A6A28F51F7D1.jpeg

Now that we're above ground - is there any reason to believe this will go up faster than we think? I mean, pour four slabs. Maybe get the shape and scale of the build by Christmas at least?

Now that we're above ground - is there any reason to believe this will go up faster than we think? I mean, pour four slabs. Maybe get the shape and scale of the build by Christmas at least?

From the City's webpage for this project:

1627671312748.png

A far number of large (grey painted) metal beams arrived on site last week - clearly to go between the phallic columns. They poured the last (?) of these a few days ago so I expect to see stuff getting up there next week. The Toronto Hydro crews (PowerLinePlus) are working on bringing the electric conduits into the site too.

A far number of large (grey painted) metal beams arrived on site last week - clearly to go between the phallic columns.
Sorry, I started all this. I was trying to keep quiet about it when I first saw those columns...but it was so much on the tip on tongue, I just had to go and point it out... :(

A far number of large (grey painted) metal beams arrived on site last week - clearly to go between the phallic columns. They poured the last (?) of these a few days ago so I expect to see stuff getting up there next week. The Toronto Hydro crews (PowerLinePlus) are working on bringing the electric conduits into the site too.

Yep you can see those beams in @Red Mars posting.

AoD

(from wiki):
Maple Leaf Gardens was constructed in five months and two weeks at a cost of C$1.5 million[15][16] ($25.1 million in 2020 dollars).

Sometimes I wonder if we've really advanced as a species.
You would think that if you took away abusive labour practises from 1931, but used modern day technologies- we'd still be well ahead.

(from wiki):
Maple Leaf Gardens was constructed in five months and two weeks at a cost of C$1.5 million[15][16] ($25.1 million in 2020 dollars).

Sometimes I wonder if we've really advanced as a species.
Given the relative simplicity of MLG, a better example would be the Empire State Building, built in 1 year and 45 days. https://www.esbnyc.com/about

Some of it is that the standards and materials for buildings have become much more complex. The technology to build 'em quicker is still catching up.

The other part I suspect, there is a lot of hoops, politics and paperwork to jump threw. That gets funkier when heritage and government are involved. And probably for good reasons.

But really though, would The City want to throw up 371 metre commercial office building with a spire? That's a little unfair in comparison.

It's apples to oranges. A building in 1931 Toronto was going to be built with locally sourced materials, the construction was much simpler, and the relative scarcity of safety and engineering regulations meant that projects flowed more organically. Yes, building were still designed and drafted, but individual trades had much more leeway over details and process.

Today, it's not uncommon for materials to be shipped across the globe. The electrical and mechanical systems in buildings are far more complex. Almost a third of a worker's day can be chewed up on safety and compliance. There is nearly zero latitude for trades to fill in the blanks. Drawings are being updated and revised and changed throughout the build, so that a lot of work ends up on hold while waiting for approval.

If anything, the really amazing thing to me is how unitization and prefabrication have managed to speed up construction. You think construction is slow today? It would blow your mind to realize how much of the labour is actually off-site and happening in factories. You see half a dozen guys putting up rebar columns or erecting steel or hanging windows, and you don't realize the off-site efforts to supply those materials in a way to minimize the work on the construction site. You see half a dozen workers in vests and hardhats downtown, and there are literally hundreds of people out in the suburbs backing them up.

Back