BD4F89FE-3BF1-425A-BAA8-C7FE358CFEF5.jpeg

Excited to see this building finished but just wish it resembled a little bit of the architecture of the building behind/royal bank building and wish they made some kind of nice courtyard. Either way looking forward to it.

Excited to see this building finished but just wish it resembled a little bit of the architecture of the building behind/royal bank building and wish they made some kind of nice courtyard. Either way looking forward to it.

The arched roofline was a change from the original proposal - and it was meant to reflect the building in front of it - i.e. the market.

AoD

The inside ground floor of the building is basically one big courtyard. And it will attach to the Market Lane park, which is going to be totally redone.

Wow I like this report, Faneuil Hall Boston is really nice been there once would luv to see something like this. The problem with Toronto is it's afraid of shutting down streets to pedestrians, to design and implement something nice you have to be bold and be prepared to not please everyone. Close off streets to traffic and make walking promenades, cars will find different routes and get used to it, Montreal has done it numerous times why can't we. It's no secret why everyone in Toronto keeps comparing what we have to what they have. This is a potentially beautiful area that I feel could be way better, the esplanade another area I feel that could have been so much better. To tie in all these places properly would be amazing for the city residents & tourists.

Wow I like this report, Faneuil Hall Boston is really nice been there once would luv to see something like this. The problem with Toronto is it's afraid of shutting down streets to pedestrians, to design and implement something nice you have to be bold and be prepared to not please everyone. Close off streets to traffic and make walking promenades, cars will find different routes and get used to it, Montreal has done it numerous times why can't we. It's no secret why everyone in Toronto keeps comparing what we have to what they have. This is a potentially beautiful area that I feel could be way better, the esplanade another area I feel that could have been so much better. To tie in all these places properly would be amazing for the city residents & tourists.

This stretch has been closed off for awhile now - the issue here is what form the landscape design should take,.

AoD

Speaking of the park, I wasn't sure if this was posted - the workshop presentation for the revitalization project:

AoD

@DSC originally posted about the park in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood thread, here:

Subsequently, I posted many of the slides from the presentation in that thread, and offered a few thoughts.

This stretch has been closed off for awhile now - the issue here is what form the landscape design should take,.

AoD

True, though they should extend it down Market Street to Esplanade. And why not make Esplanade pedestrian, bike and bus only while we're at it, from Yonge to the Distillery :)

(Yes, I know big improvements are coming to Esplanade. The changes may make it enough to be mostly local traffic only, which would be great.)

True, though they should extend it down Market Street to Esplanade. And why not make Esplanade pedestrian, bike and bus only while we're at it, from Yonge to the Distillery :)

(Yes, I know big improvements are coming to Esplanade. The changes may make it enough to be mostly local traffic only, which would be great.)
There are plans to make Market Street from Front to The Esplanade pedestrian only (maybe not 365 days a year but .... There is some discussion on this in the St Lawrence thread, as you might expect, some people (St Lawrence Market merchants!) think the street provides useful parking. If you want it closed I suggest you write to president@slna.ca and/or Chair, St Lawrence Market Precinct Advisory Committee c/o daniel.picheca@toronto.ca When the bike tracks go into The Esplanade next spring the amount of through traffic will be GREATLY reduced.

Back