They seem to cause excessive view blockage versus a simple vertical fin without additional sun shading.
Design-wise, they do look like window shutters, but at the cost of claustrophobia inside (?)

I don't think floor to ceiling windows and some minor perforated fins are really that claustrophobia inducing.

The upper floors here are being used by Toronto Court Services’ court rooms (for offences under the Provincial Offences Act) and administrative offices. In which case I suspect some element of privacy isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't think court proceedings are anyone's business beyond those inside the room. So without obstructing views or having ugly blackout blinds which visually ruin the look of the building, in my view the the fins here do provide a bit of that privacy while still looking great on the building from the outside.

And who are you exactly? (Aside from the person who wants all renders to be 100% accurate and gets offended when anyone critiques their post)

I am not offended that you have different preferences than me.

I do find it strange that you're suggesting I don't know what renders are or that developments evolve.

I also didn't critique that accuracy of the renders, I expressed a preference that I wish the development had adhered more closely to them.

And who are you exactly? (Aside from the person who wants all renders to be 100% accurate and gets offended when anyone critiques their post)

With all due respect, and this goes for both of you (more so to you for this specific response), these posts were unnecessary as they are the kind that will inevitably drag this thread off topic into arguments over personal character rather than critiquing the building itself. You both are knowledgeable and know that because you've been on the forum a long time, and fighting over a detail this small no longer feels constructive but rather petty.

As for the fins here, I could take them either way, bright orange, or terracotta because it's not that big of a deal to begin with when the area already has a fairly warm character. I was hoping for something a bit more similar to the terracotta seen on Kitchener City Hall to compliment it, but I also trust Rogers with his design intent (no matter how much the city wanted to cheapen it).

Last edited:
I think what happened was a terra cotta material was originally planned, but due to cost reasons it was changed to perforated aluminum. RSH+P is not the kind of firm to do material fakery (IE the metal panels at the well trying their hardest to look like terracotta)

Making the metal shades electric orange is, in a weird way, a refreshing example of material honesty from the design team. They're man / machine made and the electric orange colour reflects that idea. It's not a natural colour because the material is not a natural one. RSH+P also is known specifically for their almost "pantone swatch" use of colour. They don't do desaturated. I think once all of the elements come together and we start to see more of the coloured accents appear (the red and blue exhaust trumpets, other colour coded mechanical accents) this is going to look fantastic.

I think what happened was a terra cotta material was originally planned, but due to cost reasons it was changed to perforated aluminum.
TBH, I'm not sure about this. Digging way back into the archives, this UT front page story from 2013 summarizes the design changes:
4) Sun Shade System Reduction - the Winning Design included operable exterior wood louvers, including maintenance catwalks, on the east and west sides of the building. The current design includes a fixed louver system of composite material with an aluminum core and the elimination of the catwalks.
It's possible that they were value-engineered down from the "composite material" to plain aluminum, but I don't think they were ever intended to be terracotta.

So those windows on the south side: at the moment they're a wall of grey and remind me of something you'd find in a suburban office park. They'll look ... better once the building is complete, right?

1648084427629.png
1648084458896.png

So those windows on the south side: at the moment they're a wall of grey and remind me of something you'd find in a suburban office park. They'll look ... better once the building is complete, right?

View attachment 387434 View attachment 387435
It seems like what we see is what we’ll be getting.

I think it’s a quite bit nicer than a suburban office park and I’m sure it’ll liven up as people use the space inside.

View attachment 387434 View attachment 387435
They actually look quite blue/green when it's sunny out; the fritting does add a bit of grey tone for sure. I enjoy the frit as it adds a nice level of sharpness and texture to the glass (as opposed to the dot patterns for birds)

Back