AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Profile on the architect's website:

Article in the Globe and Mail from Sept 2020:

Hundreds of tailors in the Coppley workshops in central Hamilton crafted suits for generations of Canadians and uniforms and greatcoats for soldiers during two world wars. The stylish main building’s façade features colourful brick in a herringbone pattern and limestone medallions carved to suggest pant pleats.

After a century in operation, the complex needed a makeover. And because its heritage brick-and-beam architecture is in demand, it was poised to join other former manufacturing buildings in Hamilton’s core that were being transformed into offices and retail space.

Bryan Dykstra saw the potential in the striking property on Hughson Street North at Cannon Street that was still the custom suit maker’s workshops.

“This is a story about being persistent and finding a creative way to solve a problem,” says Mr. Dykstra, partner in Kitchener-based Blacks Point Development. The building was owned by a third party; he called and asked if they would be interested in selling.

“It was the start of a process that ended up taking five years in total,” he recalls.

The owner eventually agreed to sell, but Coppley Ltd. wanted to stay. Their operations at the time were spread across three different buildings around Hamilton. “I said to Coppley: Ideally you want a single facility for your whole operation. I pounded the pavement and found a property where I could build with the parameters they needed – 75,000 square feet with manufacturing, office and warehousing under one roof.”

The location on nearby MacNab Street North is still convenient for many of the employees who live in the city core.

That sealed the deal and Coppley moved into the new facility in February. But just as Blacks Point started renovating the heritage building into an office-and-retail complex that will be christened Style Park, the COVID-19 lockdown put work on hold.

Interior demolition and structural repairs have now resumed, aiming for completion next summer. The original building from 1913 – built for Firth Brothers tailors, and later occupied by Coppley – has post-and-beam construction and wood floors. An addition from the 1920s features mushroom-shaped concrete columns and steel casement windows, giving the 60,000 square feet on four floors an open loft appearance.

Rendering view of future exterior and interior:

stylep.JPG

stylep2.JPG

An existing entrance and interior marble staircase:

stylep3.JPG
stylep4.JPG

Last edited:
Hate to bump a thread for no reason, but man I love these Reno’s. Do you know how many times I’ve been down Main or Wentworth or some other street and the old buildings look near-abandoned? It's easy to brush off as “quintessential Hamilton” but It’s sad, because it makes people think these need to come down when often times they are truly beautiful and just need some treatment. This is a warehouse obviously so it’s more comparable to what’s in Toronto, but some of the old apartments scattered around are nothing like what you can find in the 6ix. I really, really hope these folks ‘downscale’ to some of those beauties afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back