They have a huge space to work with so I could see this coming out of the ground relatively quickly, but not by the end of this year. Maybe March/April next year?

They are forming the west build now and still removing dirt for the centre section. The base of the #2 crane on site, but not place.

It will be about mid 2014 before the whole project is at grade with 2 sections above grade then.

They may have the excavation done by Oct.

I can see this hitting above grade by mid spring, but that's probably best case.

I find it a bit ridiculous that all of the sidewalks abutting this site are closed. It's a pedestrian dead-zone down there now. Not that it was particularly lively with just the parking lot or the Workmen's Comp. building before that, but still.

But it is a pedestrian dead zone. So a few people have to cross the street for the moment, is that really a big deal? The City must have been convinced that few enough would be impacted to allow the closures.

Well no not quite. It's not as simple as crossing the street since there isn't one on the other side. As a pedestrian you simply can't get from Bay to York along Harbour. You either have to walk up to Lakeshore and use the path right against the ACC (because there's no southern sidewalk on Lakeshore here and the northern sidewalk is blocked off for Gardiner rehabilitation) or walk down to Queen's Quay and battle through the construction that is Waterplace Park III and QQ restoration.

So I guess it isn't solely this project that creates the ridiculous detours, but it certainly compounds every project surrounding it. Seriously, no one who approved all these closures really took a second to look at them together and realize how terrible they make the area.

But it is a pedestrian dead zone. So a few people have to cross the street for the moment, is that really a big deal? The City must have been convinced that few enough would be impacted to allow the closures.

Not crossing the street but going 2 blocks out of their way.

No sidewalk on the south side and you have to go down to QQ or go up to the north side of the Lake Shore between Bay and York. Otherwise, a dead zone.

How does the excavated space compare to U condos? My impression is that it is roughly the same size or perhaps larger. If they proceed at the same pace as U, I may have my view of the achievement of grade from my place in the choir celestial! (This assumes, of course, that I am admitted to said choir.)

Crane #2 being assembled today:

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

I hope this accident wasn't caused by a crane fetishist taking a look!

IMG_1845.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 484
And I thought this area was already looking impressive driving by on the Gardener! I can't believe there's still so much more to come... a 735 and 765ft residential tower plus a 530ft+ office tower in this location plus Ten York (735ft) all being constructed over the next 3-4 years. ICE I & II are finishing up over the next year. This stretch is going to transform again. And then beyond the 2016-2017 timeframe we have the Cityplace Signature towers (most likely in the 700 to 850ft range) to look forward to, which will further enhance this stretch. That island view is only going to get more impressive.

where on the site is the second crane located?

From my vantage point, it looks like it's going up around the centre of the site. I'll get some more pics later today. It's hard to tell from the pieces on site so far but, I'm guessing it will be a luffing crane.

Back