Is it just me, or isn't this location kinda crappy for a Target? There's no other destination retail anywhere close.

I think they're counting on the local condo and office population. Though this area is PATH connected, it's not like the PATH in the core which is lined with shops/retail. If you need to pick up a bunch of random stuff and you live or work in Southcore or the waterfront, the Target would probably be your best choice.

I think they're counting on the local condo and office population. Though this area is PATH connected, it's not like the PATH in the core which is lined with shops/retail. If you need to pick up a bunch of random stuff and you live or work in Southcore or the waterfront, the Target would probably be your best choice.

That's fair. Even with the condos already down there, there area isn't very vibrant. I could see the store ending up with 11am-7pm, Mon-Sat type hours.

The retail has a fairly large parking garage IIRC. It should do fine, people will go out of their way to get to it like they do to get to the walmart at the Dufferin mall.

It will be great to have a Target at 1 York. There doesn't seem to be any anywhere close to downtown.

GS has a Walmart, no Target

Closest ones to downtown are DVP/Eglinton area and Danforth/Vic Park

Last edited:
Please, no, don't cheapen the core, or south core, with an American Dollarama. Not to sound like an elitist (I'm far from it actually), but when I think of downtown, the last thing I want to think of is....

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/page/2/

Yuck! I know thousands do live, and thousands more will live, in the area, but for the same reason the rejected it in the Kensington Market area, it just doesn't belong, but what do I know? Just my humble opinion, but living in the core came with a certain, how shall I say this?...pride, even prestige, at least it use to, I just have a hard time picturing bringing common place shops from the burbs to the downtown area, then again, there's a Winners at Colkage Park and even Yorkville, meah, guess I'm just too old fashioned :D

Only aware of three or four Targets in the city. Bland and commonplace but still a step up from Zellers and Walmart. Referring to it as a American dollar store is just silly. Independent store aren't what they used to either. For the most part, it originates from the same place. They usually don't have the purchasing power of the chains to compete in price point which is why they go high end merchandise.

Last edited:
Have you ever actually been to Target? It's quite different from Walmart. Yes, the clothes aren't good (the localized Roots collaboration pieces suck) but when it comes to housewares they sell some nice stuff. Lots of interesting organic cleaning products at 20% less than somewhere like Shoppers would sell them, and similarly cheap deals on makeup & bathroom stuff. Dysons are prominently displayed. Much of the cookware is Calphalon, albeit their lower-end lines. If you want a grater or small kitchen unitasker it's pretty much Oxo Softworks or nothing, so sometimes it's actually the more expensive choice compared to other retailers, not just low-end. They tend to sole-source entire product lines, so all lightbulbs for instance are GE, which aren't the best deal. It's like shopping anywhere else. If they have what you want at the right price, or something at a price which now makes you want it, buy it at Target and do the rest of your shopping elsewhere. Nobody should be above saving money.

That's fair. Even with the condos already down there, there area isn't very vibrant. I could see the store ending up with 11am-7pm, Mon-Sat type hours.

The Longo's at MLS has hours of 7am-11pm 7 days a week. The 124K sq ft Target on State Street in Chicago has hours of 7am-10pm Mon-Fri and 8am-10pm Sat, 8am-9pm Sun. I could see similar hours like that happening here if Target were to open, especially if they have a grocery component.

I cant see this being a Target - not enough parking or additional retail.

It'll probably be a CityTarget concept, a smaller version of Target that focuses on fashion, city furnishings, and a small grocery section. Caters to the urban dweller, who most likely doesn't have a car. Parking would not be a priority.

Not to sound like an elitist...

...followed by a bunch of snobbery. Look, Targets can be found in far more (to use your term) 'prestigious' areas in New York and Chicago. They fit in just fine. This strikes me as a pretty good spot for one.

The 124K sq ft Target on State Street in Chicago has hours of 7am-10pm Mon-Fri and 8am-10pm Sat, 8am-9pm Sun. I could see similar hours like that happening here if Target were to open, especially if they have a grocery component.

The anchor retail tenant space in this podium is in excess of 124k

Back