And that's the exact problem. The windows will still be "functioning" as a building skin, but they will offer such poor thermal performance over the decades that the extra energy used will be enormous.

My concern with window-wall is not its need to be eventually replaced, whether that is sooner or later. My concern is what energy suckers window-wall buildings are by nature of the inferior thermal performance of window-wall systems. One year of abundant energy use is one thing --- 50 years of excessive energy use is a painful thought.

Urban enthusiasts on UT and elsewhere harp on about how cars are so bad for the environment, but people are so willing to turn a blind eye to the vast problem of buildings' energy use.

Well said!

Nov 23
15851768536_f416dda60e_b.jpg

15691565479_66d43fa57a_b.jpg

15877585295_fabc402087_b.jpg

15691821997_1d43decf81_b.jpg

15875633761_0aff2625ff_b.jpg

Just pointing out the obvious, but it looks like the Harbour Plaza Condos are on hold until Sunlife Tower (1 York) tops out at the very least.

However, I doubt they will wait to completely finish the office building before resuming construction on the residential end of the project.

(I wonder if they will have time to sneak in a site variance, in the meanwhile?)

Just pointing out the obvious, but it looks like the Harbour Plaza Condos are on hold until Sunlife Tower (1 York) tops out at the very least.

However, I doubt they will wait to completely finish the office building before resuming construction on the residential end of the project.

(I wonder if they will have time to sneak in a site variance, in the meanwhile?)

From what I could see, some column forms are up for the middle tower above the podium.

Also, if they put the construction of condos on hold, wouldn't they take down the 2 cranes? I'd imagine crane rental is not cheap these days.

This is not a deep insight or anything, but on a grey day, SouthCore just looks so incredibly cold and SAD to me. Living or working there would be very depressing for me. The scale and materiality of all those glassy buildings are not very humane. At least they are sort of cool to drive thru on the Gardiner.

Did they even go on sale?
I think most sold during VIP sales only. They did eventually open up broadly but sold so well I don't get the impression they did much broad marketing. I understand all they have left are a few lower floor north facing units. The condos are underway, unit purchasers received notice that construction has officially started as per the purchase contract. But I'm guessing they're well ahead of schedule so they can focus on the office building and still have no problem meeting the condo purchase contracts timing.

I believe that construction is definitely moving forward, as on-site, they are making an extremely big deal about separating the ICI construction from the residential construction. They've erected fencing between the two projects to keep subcontractors separated.

I wouldn't read anything into the podium; just a texture used as a placeholder.

I thought it was interesting to see the office tower concept before it was squared-out into what we see being constructed now.

They sent emails out with an online link to select the colours theme for the suites. There were 4 themes to choose from, two pictures for each theme showing the kitchen and bathroom. They also give you option to meet with their interior designer to explore upgrade options.

Back