If the japanese brand Muji ever came to canada, this building would be a good place to open up shop. The muji I went to in tokyo was more then just clothing, it also had their unique brand of food/snacks, some household items, don't remember it all it was definitely not just clothing, the prices in japan were great but I'm sure coming here they would be higher. I think they have alteast a few stores open up recently in the states, not sure if Canada would be on their radar, but would be nice.
Edit: just realized they've opened/opening one up in Toronto already.

MUJI Canada price is roughly 2X of that in Japan.
And the new store is half the size it should be. It is so crowded all the time that it is a challenge to walk around.

MUJI Canada price is roughly 2X of that in Japan.
And the new store is half the size it should be. It is so crowded all the time that it is a challenge to walk around.

Rest assured, I am sure they use this experience to inform their expansion plans. At some point the novelty factor will wear out and their prices and offering will have to be more competitive.

AoD

Last edited:
Not that I'm advocating Walmart. I'm not. But the only thing that screams cheap louder than Walmart is target. So really ANYTHING would be better.
On a side not about Muji... I was really excited for their opening at the atrium but honestly not a fan... It's like a cross between elevator music and ikea... So dull. I was hoping for more personality. Ikea or Simons would be my hope. T&t would be cool too.

Not that I'm advocating Walmart. I'm not. But the only thing that screams cheap louder than Walmart is target. So really ANYTHING would be better.
On a side not about Muji... I was really excited for their opening at the atrium but honestly not a fan... It's like a cross between elevator music and ikea... So dull. I was hoping for more personality. Ikea or Simons would be my hope. T&t would be cool too.

I was not impressed with MUJI either. Its products seem very bland and I don't know what the fuss is about.

I don't think 1 York is an ideal place for a large retail meant to attract people all over the city. There is not much retail nearby and people usually don't go all the way to see just one isolated store (unless you are Apple or something). It should serve the people nearby instead for daily necessities. So a branch of some home décor and/or grocery store is more appropriate. A giant department store on the other hand is unlikely to be successful. Don't forget transportation is somewhat awkward. It is not like Yonge or Queen.

I posted this in the Target thread, and just noticed people have mentioned it here:

Actually, at 145,000 sq.ft, I wouldn't rule Canadian Tire out for the space either. We are building a 135k sq.ft flagship (our first ever flagship) in Edmonton as we speak. 145k for Toronto would be perfect for a second flagship store. We have a habit of making spur of the moment decisions when an opportunity is too good to pass up.

I was not impressed with MUJI either. Its products seem very bland and I don't know what the fuss is about.

I don't think 1 York is an ideal place for a large retail meant to attract people all over the city. There is not much retail nearby and people usually don't go all the way to see just one isolated store (unless you are Apple or something). It should serve the people nearby instead for daily necessities. So a branch of some home décor and/or grocery store is more appropriate. A giant department store on the other hand is unlikely to be successful. Don't forget transportation is somewhat awkward. It is not like Yonge or Queen.

There's a large Longo's store literally across the street in Maple Leaf Square

There's a large Longo's store literally across the street in Maple Leaf Square

doesn't mean another one doesn't make sense.
There is a metro, a sobey's and a loblaws at Yonge/College, Bay/college and Church/Carlton. With more residential towers shooting up, I don't think two large grocery stores are too many. Plus, like I said, if it is a T&T, the products are pretty different from Longo's. It is not like all grocery stores are the same.

I posted this in the Target thread, and just noticed people have mentioned it here:

Actually, at 145,000 sq.ft, I wouldn't rule Canadian Tire out for the space either. We are building a 135k sq.ft flagship (our first ever flagship) in Edmonton as we speak. 145k for Toronto would be perfect for a second flagship store. We have a habit of making spur of the moment decisions when an opportunity is too good to pass up.

If you were a bit earlier you could have moved your offices on top as well, CT Tower, has a nice ring to it ; )

Very true about this not being a destination location for shopping. Especially a retailer like Simons. I could see Canadian tire, Home Depot, ikea, walmart or a large grocery store doing well though.

This would be double the size of that Uniqlo!! Here's an idea - Urban Ikea!

Could be good timing:

Of interest:

Ikea to open string of smaller stores across Canada
By Glen Korstrom, BIV
Dec 15, 2014

The locations would be similar in size to a standard London Drugs, at about 37,000 square feet, or a tenth the size of a full-size Ikea, but most of that space will be for storage.

Unlike a full-size Ikea, the new so-called “pickup†stores will have counters at which Ikea workers will retrieve items for customers who ordered online. Some of the company’s future pickup stores are likely to include small retail areas.

Ikea hasn’t released exact locations, but “the pickup stores will be on the West Coast and all over the country,†Sjöstrand said. “I hope that a year from now we will have five to 10 pickup points.â€
http://www.biv.com/article/2014/12/ikea-open-string-smaller-stores-across-canada/

I sure hope you're kidding. Maybe a mini Wallmart but definitely not a superstore.

Of course I'm kidding. Like mrxbombastic said "Walmart screams cheap". Plus it won't go with the neighbourhood. Saying that, with 3 bedroom condos in the area presumably occupied by families with children, a Walmart would be economically practical for them (even though they are living in million dollar homes)

Let's hope not.

AoD

Reducing our disposable income by 10% or more because it's a low brow brand is a fool's game. It smacks of those people that won't go in Tim Horton's because it's below them. Big box like Walmart push independents out of business but we need to treat them all the same. We already have massive chains like Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys, Canadian Tire, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Hudson's Bay downtown. Should we get rid of those too?

At the end of the day, businesses need to compete. We don't all have the luxury of paying more and/or the interest in doing so.

Last edited:
doesn't mean another one doesn't make sense.
There is a metro, a sobey's and a loblaws at Yonge/College, Bay/college and Church/Carlton. With more residential towers shooting up, I don't think two large grocery stores are too many. Plus, like I said, if it is a T&T, the products are pretty different from Longo's. It is not like all grocery stores are the same.

This is a HUGE Longo's ChesterCoppergotopotty is referring to. The lunch buffet alone is worth the walk, I go there frequently for lunch from 1CP. It would crush any nearby competition IMO.

Back