There are already EV battery trucks and buses in existence. EV battery technology for streetcars/LRT can't be that far away. Surely, we're moving to an era where overhead electrical wires will be a thing of the past? It would make a massive difference in a city like Toronto.

T3 is shaping up beautifully. I just hope that, when completed, the wooden frame is as visible as the renderings suggest.

Last edited:
There are already EV battery trucks and buses in existence. EV battery technology for streetcars/LRT can't be that far away. Surely, we're moving to an era where overhead electrical wires will be a thing of the past? It would make a massive difference in a city like Toronto.
Not to get off topic, but as far as I know, the technology already exists, but isn't used because it is generally worse operationally, and definitely worse environmentally.

Streetcar wires tend to be quite organized and easy on the eyes, especially on modern projects. It's everything else that is a mess. St Clair is a pretty good example. If the queens quay style is continued it wouldn't clash too hard with this project.

T3 is shaping up beautifully. I just hope that, when completed, the wooden frame is as visible as the renderings suggest.
Me too, very promising. As silly as it sounds, I'm most excited about the foliage 'green wall' covered mechanical. I've never seen this done and could be a show stopper.

Another ten days or so, another storey gets added.
D04E91A7-BCF6-4F96-BC2D-51C9CCCD7E70.jpeg

Does anybody know -perhaps it’s been discussed- why this building has a concrete core and T3 Sterling seemingly does not? There is a two storey height difference, but that’s not so much (Sterling = 8 storeys)

Does anybody know -perhaps it’s been discussed- why this building has a concrete core and T3 Sterling seemingly does not? There is a two storey height difference, but that’s not so much (Sterling = 8 storeys)
I can only presume that the elevator structure is being built at the same time for the Sterling building. Not all business towers have cores...I think 16 York is an example of that.

...as to why, I've been told it boils down how quickly they want to put the tower up, as cores tend to be more efficient (and stronger) to my understanding. But they're probably also more expensive to build that way. So that maybe the reason for the difference here. Don't quote me on that though!

Photos taken April 30th, 2022: * lots of glazing on site, I assume install will pick up pace shortly

DSC07427.JPG

DSC07429.JPG

DSC07428.JPG

DSC07432.JPG

DSC07435.JPG

DSC07436.JPG

Now from Aitken Place Park:

DSC07442.JPG

Gratuitous close-up of a flower:

DSC07443.JPG

Back to the building:

DSC07444.JPG

DSC07445.JPG

Not sure of the specific reasoning in this case, but the short answer in the abstract is that it depends -- different suppliers, different floorplates, different floor heights, different programs, different engineers, different architects, different builders, different pro formas; those are all factors that generally factor into the decision, and it tends to be iterative to at least some degree.

In broad strokes, it has for some years been true that, ceteris paribus, it costs more to do your core and/or one or more of the first floors in timber, but there are definitely suppliers, engineers, and builders out there who are claiming that the cost gap (for at least the latter) has substantially narrowed. Even though there are now lots of tall timber buildings all over the world that are pushing the envelope to a greater degree than which we're seeing in Toronto, there's still a pretty widespread concern here among builders about the bench strength of trades who can work with it here (especially given that there are now actually quite a number of mass timber buildings under construction/in the pipeline).

Not sure of the specific reasoning in this case, but the short answer in the abstract is that it depends -- different suppliers, different floorplates, different floor heights, different programs, different engineers, different architects, different builders, different pro formas; those are all factors that generally factor into the decision, and it tends to be iterative to at least some degree.

In broad strokes, it has for some years been true that, ceteris paribus, it costs more to do your core and/or one or more of the first floors in timber, but there are definitely suppliers, engineers, and builders out there who are claiming that the cost gap (for at least the latter) has substantially narrowed. Even though there are now lots of tall timber buildings all over the world that are pushing the envelope to a greater degree than which we're seeing in Toronto, there's still a pretty widespread concern here among builders about the bench strength of trades who can work with it here (especially given that there are now actually quite a number of mass timber buildings under construction/in the pipeline).

A fine answer! And...bonus points for saying 'All other things being equal' in Latin! LOL

Back